Sunday, October 28, 2012

God leads His people

Pam Padgett ... teacher

When the Levites were recounting before the congregation many of the things God has done, they spoke of how God brought the children of Israel out of Egypt and led them in the wilderness ...

Nehemiah 9:9 And didst see the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heardest their cry by the Red sea; 10 And shewedst signs and wonders upon Pharaoh, and on all his servants, and on all the people of his land: for thou knewest that they dealt proudly against them. So didst thou get thee a name, as it is this day. 11 And thou didst divide the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and their persecutors thou threwest into the deeps, as a stone into the mighty waters. 12 Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar; and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way wherein they should go.

God showed them the way to go in the wilderness by a pillar of a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.  The pillar of a cloud would be very visible by day, and the pillar of fire would be easily seen by night.  God led them in a way they could see and recognize. 

While thinking about this, I thought of how God leads us in a way we can recognize.  God knows everything about each of us, including what we have experienced in the past, and is able to "reach" us in a way we can understand to show us the way we are to go. 

Many years ago when I was working at FedEx we were allowed to ride in the cockpit of some of the cargo planes.  On one trip the co-pilot was landing the plane and was descending too quickly.  An automated siren sounded and then a recorded voice said "Pull up!   Pull up!", giving a very strong warning of danger ahead if adjustments weren't made.  The co-pilot made necessary adjustments and landed the plane safely, but this made a strong impression on me. 

Several months ago I had allowed my mind to start dwelling on past failures and sins, one thing leading to another.  Feelings of condemnation and hopelessness started weighing me down, almost paralyzing me.  Then a thought came ... "Pull up!  Pull up!".  Because of my past experience, I immediately realized this was a strong warning.  I was also reminded of what Paul said ...

Philipppians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Although the thought "Pull up! Pull up!" would have meant nothing to many people, it very clearly showed me that I needed to make adjustments quickly.  By that thought and being reminded of Philippians 3:13-14, it was clear to me that I needed to immediately stop dwelling on the past and to turn to God and ask Him to direct my thoughts so I could move forward in His way for me.

God knows how to lead each of us in a way we can understand.