Friday, January 9, 2015

Romans 5:3-5

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Romans 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.


Tribulations come to each of us, things that cause trouble, distress, or suffering.  Going through tribulation is not pleasant and we don't initially think of glorying in such. 

But when we turn to God with the problem and wait for Him to help us according to His will in the matter, we can glory in the tribulation for we see (experience) the power of God working in the situation for our good.  And we find we more firmly trust God to help us with other problems, the experience strengthening our hope in God.  

I thought of many tribulations I have encountered and how God has helped me with each, working even the problem for my good.  One example was not long ago.  I was having very severe headaches and turned to God asking for help.  My attention was drawn to the headaches being behind my eyes and I believed I was being shown to go to an eye doctor.  An eye exam showed that the prescription of my glasses needed to be changed, but it took more than a week to get the new glasses.  While waiting for the new glasses the headaches continued until the Holy Spirit reminded me to pray.  At the first signs of a headache, I would pray.  Sometimes I would be shown to do something, such as take an aspirin or to eat.  Other times the headache just went away.  Within a couple of days of praying each time a headache started, there were no more headaches. 

The glasses came in, but the frames needed to be adjusted before I could use the glasses.  The first sign of a headache was shortly before I was able to get the frames adjusted.  Obviously, the new prescription was needed, but I was spared the headaches until I was able to use the new glasses.  Since using the new glasses there have been no headaches at all.   

Although the headaches were very painful, I now rejoice when I think of this problem.  For God helped me ... showing me the eye problem, reminding me to pray, and helping me until I could get the new glasses.  And I've found myself remembering to pray more quickly about problems since this, being strengthened in trusting God to help me. 

It is comforting to consider the love God has toward us to help us according to His will in whatever we face, and to see the power of God working in the situation and in our lives. 

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.