Tuesday, January 6, 2015

God knows what we need now and in the future

Matt. 15:32 Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

33 And his disciples say unto him, Whence should we have so much bread in the wilderness, as to fill so great a multitude? 34 And Jesus saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? And they said, Seven, and a few little fishes. 35 And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground. 36 And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. 37 And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken meat that was left seven baskets full. 38 And they that did eat were four thousand men, beside women and children.

Comments by Pam Padgett

Considering that Jesus knew the people who had been with Him were in danger of fainting if He sent them away without food so He fed them reminds me that God knows what we need now and in the future and provides for us.

Of ourselves we do not know what lies ahead for us, and don't know how to prepare for the future.  But God knows what lies ahead and what we will need for what we will face.  God is able to lead us by the Holy Spirit and prepare us, providing what we need. 

When I retired, believing I was led by God to do this, one of my neighbors who is several years older than me told me that she wanted very much to retire but was afraid of what might happen with the economy in the future.  This woman is not born again so doesn't have the Holy Spirit.  She is trying to provide for herself by staying in a job she said she hated.  Without the Holy Spirit she can't understand turning to God with concerns and trusting God to show us what to do. 

But God has chosen us and cares for us, knowing all that we need now and in the future, and is able to show us the way we should go.  We continually find that as we go in the way we are led by God, we lack nothing we need. 

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.