Saturday, January 10, 2015

God is able to guide us to where we need to be

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

As we face various decisions in our lives and turn to God with the matter, its sometimes hard to see how God could possibly get through to us and show us the way to go.  But God is able to direct our paths, getting us to the place we need to be, as He has promised.  

Several years ago the company I worked for was planning to move to a new office building being built.  Not only was this new building several miles farther from where I lived, but major road construction projects between my house and the new office were scheduled for the next few years.

One afternoon about six months before the move while walking to my car to go home I was reminded of having been in the area where the new office was being built and how much I liked that area.  A thought came that I could look for a house in that area.  Strangely, even though I had realized that the drive to the new office from my current house would be more difficult, it hadn't occurred to me that I might move until that afternoon.  I turned to God and asked whether this could be what HE wanted me to do.    

The following day was a Saturday and I drove to the area where the new office building was being built.  It was completely different than the area where I was living at the time.  But as I drove in this new area it seemed to suit me perfectly.  Although I hadn't even thought of moving from my current house (which I liked very much) until the previous day, my heart was changed and I wanted to move to this area.  I went home and prepared my house to be sold.  Within two days it was on the market and sold very quickly after that.  

At the same time I had begun looking for a home to buy in the new area.  One of the first houses I saw was a tudor-style house.  I liked it very much and submitted an offer to purchase it.  It was very disappointing to learn that another offer had been received and accepted just an hour or two before my offer was received.

I continued to look for another house to buy, but no house seemed to "measure up" in my mind to the tudor house.  One evening after seeing several houses, none of which appealed to me like the tudor house, I turned strongly to God asking Him to somehow show me what to do.  At the time I was exhausted and it seemed impossible to be shown what to do.  But as I prayed a thought from the Holy Spirit came telling me to start reviewing the houses.  One by one I took information about each of the houses and started talking with God about the house.  For each house, except one, I was reminded of something that showed me that house would not work for me and I would set that house aside 

In considering the one house remaining, my eyes were opened to see that my thinking had been "blocked" when I first saw it by my desire for the tudor house. 

My attention kept being drawn to this one remaining house.  I went back to look at the house again, asking God to help me see if I should make an offer on the house.  This time I saw things in the house I hadn't seen before and which I really liked, such as a walk-in pantry.  I submitted an offer for the house which was accepted.  Even after moving into the house, I kept finding things that work very well for me, and I found myself frequently thanking God for leading me to purchase this particular house. 

Not long after moving to the new house, I saw the man who had owned the tudor house.  He told me that soon after the new owners of that house had moved in, a very heavy rain had come and part of the roof had collapsed.  A few weeks later I also learned that the home owners on the street where the tudor house is had become involved in a legal battle over a proposed new development nearby.  Hearing these things, I was so thankful to God for His protection in keeping me from buying the tudor house, the house I had once wanted so much. 

God knew the best house for me and was able to direct my path to that house as I turned to Him, even breaking through my desire for the tudor house (which would have been very troublesome for me) and guiding me to the house that worked very well for me.