Monday, November 3, 2014

Led by the Holy Spirit in what God had prepared

Pam Padgett - teacher 

When the Holy Spirit leads us, we are often led step by step.  We may not see past the current step, but by faith that we have heard from God we take that step.  And as we go in the way we are led, we find the way prepared for us by God.

Many years ago I was working as a secretary.  Although I was grateful to have a job, I started finding that I was bored.  I turned to God and asked if there was something I could do that would be more interesting for me.  But if HE wanted me to continue as a secretary, I'd try to be content and do my job to the best of my ability.  I didn't hear to make any changes, so continued in my job. 

Then one day my boss asked me if I'd setup a pc to start doing my work on it. (At the time we used only typewriters and filed everything on paper, but there was a pc in the department which no one knew how to use.)  I told my boss I'd be glad to try to do this, but that I didn't know anything about computers.

Then I had the thought to ask if I could take some computer classes, and he agreed to this.  I went to a nearby college and got a schedule of classes.  My boss and I reviewed the computer classes and selected two which sounded like they would give me a good foundation in using a computer. 

One of the classes was called "Basic".  My boss and I thought this class would give a basic understanding of computers.  But the first night of class as the instructor gave an overview of what we would learn, I found out we were going to learn the computer programming language called "Basic".  As the instructor described programming, I knew this is what I would enjoy doing.  The other class helped me setup the pc at my job and start doing my work on it, while I completed the programming class and took another at night. 

After taking a couple of programming classes, and enjoying them very much, I wanted to work as a programmer.  I asked God how to get a programming job and was led to send letters to several businesses telling my background.  One of these businesses offered me an interview and then a job as a part-time programmer and part-time secretary.  This gave me programming experience. 

One day the technical lead at this company told me that the company was having financial problems and that since I was just an entry-level programmer, I would probably be the first to be laid off if finances didn't improve.  I turned to God and asked what I should do.  Looking for another job was something I dreaded, especially because interviews were very hard for me.  Not long after praying, my attention was drawn to a class in how to interview.  I believed it was the Holy Spirit drawing my attention to this, so I signed up for the two-night class. 

On the first night of the interview class the instructor asked each of us what type of work we wanted to do.  I told her I was looking for a computer programming job.  On the second night of the class, she told me that FedEx was looking for entry-level programmers and gave me the name and phone number of a woman at FedEx. 

I called the woman at FedEx and she said she would give my resume to managers looking for entry-level programmers.  I immediately sent her my resume, and a few days later I received a phone call from one of the managers inviting me for an interview.   After the interview, I was offered a job and worked there until I retired more than twenty years later. 

Looking back, the way was completely prepared for me to change the type of work I did.  At the time I didn't know what computer programming was, but this was the exact type of work that suited me.  Taking each step I was shown by the Holy Spirit, the way was prepared for me to do this type of work.