Saturday, November 29, 2014

Green pastures and still waters

Pam Padgett - teacher

During this time of year when many are set on fire by the holidays, I find myself thanking God for how peaceful it is to not be caught up in the work and expectations of these holidays as I was much of my life such as ... needing to decorate and later removing decorations.  The pressure of deciding on and shopping for gifts for various people (not necessarily because it was put in my heart to give a gift to that person, but because it was "required" by the holiday traditions).  Feeling trapped in gatherings with worldly people and their talk. 

Heavy yokes, and not ways of peace.

It was very freeing to me some years ago when God opened my to see that HE has not told us to do these things.  These holidays are of men, not God.  

It is God I want to serve, not man-made traditions and expectations.  And God leads in ways of peace. 

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.