Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Called to be as little children

Pam Padgett - teacher

A few days ago I was thinking about how when I was about ten years old, I no longer wanted to be considered a child.  I tried to distance myself from things I considered childish, such as children's tv shows, and wanted to be considered an adult. 

I mentioned this to Joan and she later asked me if this was because I wanted to be important.  I hadn't thought in terms of wanting to be important and didn't think this was the case.  But later I looked up what the word "important" means and saw ... having or acting as if having power, authority, influence, value.  This reminded me of what I wanted, to be seen as mature and impressive to others rather than as a child.  Being wise in my own eyes and wanting to be seen by others as wise.  To be important.

Throughout our lives our flesh wants to be seen as important by other people.  To show itself to be great or valuable in some way. But this is not the way we are to go. 

Joan had been reminded of what Jesus taught us in the following ...

Matthew 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted (changed), and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.  4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

God has chosen us to be His children.  Not to seek greatness among men nor try to impress men.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.