Thursday, November 20, 2014

God's yoke is easy

Pam Padgett - teacher

During my life I have tried in various ways to be important.  Trying to excel in school and later to advance in my job are just two ways I have tried to be important. 

But trying to be important is opposite to the way of God and is a heavy burden.  I don't want to go this way. 

Matthew 18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
--
Another heavy burden was being a football fan.  It was very difficult when "my" team lost.  It was especially hard if they played very badly after I heard sports analysts before the game talk of how well "my" team should do.  This was affecting me, consuming me.  I had even looked online for someone to replace an injured player, although there was nothing I could do even if I found a likely candidate! 

1 Corin. 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Not long ago I asked God to help me.  One thing I felt led to do was to stop watching the sports analyst shows.  And I also was given the concept that I didn't have to watch "my" team play (previously I had felt almost an obligation to watch "my" team.) 

Recently I've been aware of being much less burdened in this.  Last week after seeing a few plays in which the team played poorly, I decided to do something else.  Instead of watching this game, I invited a neighbor to bring her dogs to play with my dog, and it was very enjoyable for me to throw tennis balls for them to retrieve and to watch them play.

Surprisingly, I don't think I had tension or worry about the outcome of the game.  And the burden I felt just a couple months ago to watch these games was no longer there. 
--

Today I was thanking God that, because of He word and help, I can stop trying to be important and don't have to be consumed as a football fan ... and for how freeing these things are.  I was reminded of the following:

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.