Friday, November 7, 2014

Inordinate affection: What this means

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

In Col. 3, the apostle Paul spoke of inordinate affection as follows:

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.  3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.



"inordinate affection" caught my attention ... what does this mean.

inordinate would be "excessive" ... too much ... over the top

And Paul told us to be "moderate" ... Phil. 4:5-6 ... Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. 5Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.


We who are of God have the spirit of God in us.  We rejoice in HIS salvation.  We rejoice that we are a part of HIS salvation.  That is what is important to us.

In the earlier part of my life, I was involved in music, drama and various performing arts.  I greatly admired various fine actors and actors.  I greatly admired various great performances in theater and movies.

Recently I listened to The King & I, Rodgers & Hammerstein.  It was a production with Gertrude Lawarence.  I went to Internet and read about her life.  I have long admired the orchestrations of Robert Russell Bennett.  I read of his life.  As I thought about these genisus people in their firend, I also thought:  But where are they now?  (they are dead)  And what does all this matter that they accomplished on this earth?  That which seems so important matters so little.  It is God and the word of God and belonging to God that matters.  The other things are only temporary, no more than a vapor which extinguishes with time.  The things of God are eternal.

When I think of "inordinate affection"  I think of sports fans and how important a game can seem to them.  When the TV camera shows the faces of fans we often see such intensity, as if what they are watching is life and death, and to them it is.  I know I never want to feel that way again.  Therefore I put restraints on myself so I will not be swept away by such.

I've heard of women who have a shoe fetish, who can never get enough shoes.

I know one woman who could not get enough crystal, dishware and such.

Excessive behavior is a sign of a fleshly problem and needs to be recognized by us and dealt with through prayer and attention.

Each of us who belong to God should know this is what really matters and by this we keep a restraint on our flesh.

5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.