Thursday, September 6, 2012

I have help

Renee Bonfield ... evangelist


Many years ago there was a woman I used to see in our neighborhood. She had a retarded son. My husband and I have an autistic son. Harriet died a few years ago. One day it was pouring rain. We were both crossing opposite sides of the street at the same time. I stopped her and asked if I could speak to her for a moment. She agreed and I told her that I had seen her many times in the neighborhood with her son and that I admired her the way she took care of him, and how neatly he was always dressed. She said "What about you? I've seen you with your son." I said "well, I have help." She asked what kind of help I had. I said "I'm Jewish and I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. He's the one who helps me. She said "I'm Greek, and I also have accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. Then we both said at the same time" to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."  Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." We must have stood in the rain about an hour talking about God. Then I found out that she lived right across the street from me. Until she died she was my best friend.