Monday, July 16, 2018

God answers prayer


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Pam Padgett, a woman in our little church group, has been planning a small remodel job at her home.

One day, I was trying to proof-read the next day's blog, but I found myself thinking of Pam's remodel project. I had an idea for her project.

Finally I stopped reading the blog and called Pam and told her the idea, which was to divide the project into sections and do one section at a time.  That way, she could stop at the end of any one of the sections if she became tired of construction in her house, starting with the enclosure separating the fireplace area from bedroom, which was the smallest part of the proposed project.

She didn't like that idea. She even said to me, "That's just not the way I do things." (It was not even Pam's usual voice and certainly not like her to react this way.)

I was sorry I had spoken. This, after all, is just a secular project.


***

A day or so later, the same thing happened again.

Again I reported it and again I felt a "stiffening" by Pam against what I said.



***

Then a third time, this happened again.

That time Pam told me she had just that morning been crying out to God saying she was "overwhelmed" with the project, especially with the idea I had brought to her. 

(The "idea" I had brought to Pam was a type of protection for her. … Divide the project into 2 or 3 parts, starting with the wall type enclosure separating the new bedroom from the fireplace area.  This was the smallest part.  This way she could test the man chosen as contractor.  If he did good work in a timely way, then he could proceed to part 2 of the project.  Pam was afraid she might offend him.  But he wouldn't even have to know about the plan.  All that was needed was for Pam to tell him she wanted to do the plan in two or three parts.  Pam was somehow frozen with terror that she might offend this contractor.  It turned out this contractor tried to charge Pam an exorbitant price for the current work and Pam did not sign a contract with him. Pam is going to act as her own contractor in putting this small job together.)

But she needed help! she said as she prayed to God.

There is one other thing:  We heard a scripture where Jesus sent his disciples out and told them to be "wise as serpents but harmless as doves."  Matthew 10

When you are real Christians trying to work with a secular world, you need to be wise.

I believe it was wise to do the project in parts, seeing how one part turned out before going onto another part.

Pam remodeled her master bedroom upstairs a few years ago.  Mostly she remodeled the bath and closets in that area.  The contractor told Pam it would take 6 1/2 weeks.  It took 6 1/2 months.  Pam is so good natured but it even tested her toward the end.  There would be 2 days at a time men did show up to work.  The project drug on and on.  I have found this typical in working with construction people.  They tear up some of your house and then disappear to another job.  This way they can keep both jobs.

Dividing the current job would be a way for Pam to have some control over the project.  Now she thinks she is going to be her own contractor.  That should work out very well.  She is meeting with a framer/sheet rock worker today.

***

In one message, I had heard, "Put the shower in the little bath room."

This is not what I delivered to Pam.

Instead I said, "Have you considered putting the shower in the little bath?"

(I so strongly did not want to interfere, especially since I had met with such resistance from Pam when I told her things about her project.)

But what I asked her about "considering" was just not strong enough.  As I recall the story, Pam was continuing to tell God she "really" had to know what to do.

It was then that I told Pam the message I really heard.  "Put the shower in the little bath." 

(What Pam wanted to do was to put the shower in the laundry room area, moving the entire laundry to the place where the 1/2 bath is currently located and moving the 1/2 bath to the area where the laundry room is currently located … in effect, switching the two rooms in the house.)

***

Finally I understood!

Pam had been crying out to God at each step asking GOD for wisdom.

God was choosing to give her HIS wisdom through me.

But in this case, Pam wanted to do it herself!

I believe God was breaking up something lodged inside Pam.

One time I even jokingly said to Pam: "Would you please stop praying. I want to work on the blog."

It was like God was poking me with a stick to get my attention and to give me ideas to deal with Pam's project while she was praying about what to do in the project!


***

James 1:5    If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.



(God will give you HIS wisdom ... but it might come through another person.)


*****

It is not at all unusual for me to receive what I believe to be a word from God for another person, only to deliver that word and have the other person fight that word.

A woman had purchased a puppy and it was arriving at airport with it's human carrier on a plane around mid-night.

The airport is about 15 miles north of downtown and is located in an isolated part of town.

As I thought on this, I was concerned about this woman driving by herself to such a location at mid-night. She gets lost easily even in daylight.

But as I thought on this, I heard a solution which I believed to be from God. 

"chauffeur"


Of course. How simple.

She could hire a car to drive her. That way she would not have to park in short term parking. It would be so easy and safe.

I delivered this word to this woman.

She reported she had hired a chauffeur to pick up the man who was bringing the puppy to pick him the next day at his motel and take him back to airport.  She said she would drive to airport alone and pick up the man and take him to his hotel. Then the chauffeur would pick up this man at his hotel the next morning and take him to the airport.

She completely twisted the instruction which I felt I heard from God.

I called her and straightened her out.

But she fought the word, thinking herself capable of going another way.

(She finally did the instruction and then said: "It made it so easy.")


***

I encounter this type of thing often.

However, I try to faithfully present the word I believe to be from God.

That is the role of a prophet in the NT church. 

If we hear a word we believe to be from God, we faithfully report that word even if such brings reproach upon ourselves.

This is what the Bible teaches us to do as prophets of God.


*****

I Samuel 15

Samuel also said unto Saul, The Lord sent me to anoint thee to be king over his people, over Israel: now therefore hearken thou unto the voice of the words of the Lord.

2 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.


3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.


... 9 But Saul and the people spared Agag, and the best of the sheep, and of the oxen, and of the fatlings, and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them: but every thing that was vile and refuse, that they destroyed utterly.



10 Then came the word of the Lord unto Samuel, saying, 11 It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following ME, and hath not performed MY commandments. 



And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the Lord all night.


12 And when Samuel rose early to meet Saul in the morning, it was told Samuel, saying, Saul came to Carmel, and, behold, he set him up a place, and is gone about, and passed on, and gone down to Gilgal. 


13 And Samuel came to Saul: and Saul said unto him, Blessed be thou of the Lord: I have performed the commandment of the Lord.

14 And Samuel said, What meaneth then this bleating of the sheep in mine ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?
15 And Saul said, They have brought them from the Amalekites: for the people spared the best of the sheep and of the oxen, to sacrifice unto the Lord thy God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed.

16 Then Samuel said unto Saul, Stay, and I will tell thee what the Lord hath said to me this night. And he said unto him, Say on. 

17 And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the Lord anointed thee king over Israel? 18 And the Lord sent thee on a journey, and said, Go and utterly destroy the sinners the Amalekites, and fight against them until they be consumed. 

19 Wherefore then didst thou not obey the voice of the Lord, but didst fly upon the spoil, and didst evil in the sight of the Lord? 

20 And Saul said unto Samuel, Yea, I have obeyed the voice of the Lord, and have gone the way which the Lord sent me, and have brought Agag the king of Amalek, and have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 21 But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the Lord thy God in Gilgal.


22 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 

23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.


*****