Sunday, July 22, 2018

To go to medical doctor ... or not to go?


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

I am almost 81-years-old.

I go to a medical doctor (actually a nurse practioner who can prescribe medicines).

I go there every 6-months, as prescribed by medical profession in USA.

I go for one reason only:  I want prescription for sleeping pills.


***

I have constant pain, day and night, although the pain I have is worse when I lie down.

This is caused by surgery after an accident where I broke a hip.  The hip surgery was no problem. But during the operation a bone broke in my leg and shattered all the way down to my knee.  Surgeon had to add a titanium rod to my leg to enable me to walk again.  Cells died in my leg and foot as a result.  There is constant pain.  One bone remains broken in thigh.  Surgeon said there is no way to fix that bone.  Patients just have to live with it.

Instead of pain medicine, I have chosen to take sleeping pills at night.

Each of us have to make medical decisions for ourselves.

The side effects of pain medicine are something I want to avoid as long as possible.

I have found sleeping pills do no side effects, other than perhaps addiction to the pills, but I consider this less problem than the problems I encountered in hospital when they gave me pain medicine.

I awake very rested each morning and my mind is very clear usually, so I am able to do the work God has given me in exhorting the church.


***

Before going to doctor, I ask myself this question:  What do I expect this doctor to do for me?

* I am 81, this year.  

* I believe God raised Jesus from the dead and I believe God will raise me from dead.

* I do not want to begin taking pain medicine, yet, so I do not need prescription.

At my age, and in my circumstance, I choose not to have any blood tests or other medical tests.  

I control pain by using heating pad, over the counter "roll on" such as "Freeze It" for temporary relief, and aspirin.

Often I sleep most of the night sitting up in a recliner for the pain lessens when I sit up.  Yet I awaken refreshed and able to do the work which I love doing, exhorting the church in things of God and in wisdom from God.  

It is only a matter of a short time, a few years, perhaps, before I leave this earth, either though the return of Jesus or by physical death.

I have no interest at all in doing things to attempt to prolong my life on this earth.  I know God will choose for me the length of time I remain on this earth.

***

Each of us must decide critical things for ourselves.

I would go to medical doctor if I could not stand the pain.

I would go to medical doctor if I had a broken bone or cataracts.  I go to dentist for tooth cleaning every 6-months.

I am not opposed to going to medical doctor.  Often I have been thankful we live in a time and country where we can get medical help.

But I am very careful about the reason I go to medical doctor.



*****

Another thing ... Just because something is "standard" medical practice for a disease or illness, does not mean I choose to do that thing.

I have eye disease, glaucoma.

Eye doctors give their glaucoma patients something called a visual field test ... It shows how much vision you have lost during the past year.

Taking this "field" test does not affect the treatment the doctor does for your eyes.  

I choose not to take this test.

Glaucoma is treated with eye drops.  I take drops twice daily to control pressure.  I have been doing this for about 10 years effectively.   I go in every 6 months for eye pressure check.  I do not mind doing either of these things.

I will be looking for doctor very soon who will agree to write prescriptions for eye drops and will give me semi-annual eye pressure tests without requiring a visual field test.

I feel certain I will find some eye doctor who will do this.


*****