Thursday, July 20, 2017

Ephesians 4:29


Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.


*****

Comments by Joan Boney:

A few years ago, the above scripture was called to my attention and I kept it before me and thought about it and the instruction.

At that time there was an interesting political election in USA and though I am very non-political, this election caught my interest... between Clinton and Obama ...

I was at my neighbor's house and I started to mention the election, but I remembered that scripture, Ephesians 4:29.  My flesh was pulling strongly to speak about the election.  But would doing so cause my neighbors to have grace in God? or be edified by the Spirit of God?

NO.

It was hard to control my flesh but I did not allow my flesh to speak.

By this, God showed me one thing that it means to "suffer in the flesh."

My flesh definitely suffered because I would not allow it to speak as it wanted to speak.

Often in such times of temptation, I have seen the temptation arise and have begun immediately to pray:  Please God.  Don't let me say that.  Don't let me do that.

God has never failed to answer my prayer, stopping my flesh.

Watch and pray.  The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Prayer always overcomes our flesh.  Pray continually, moment by moment.


*****