Thursday, July 13, 2017

Being witty and clever puffs up the flesh

Barbara Preston ... member of the body of Christ

Joan and I were talking about how easy it is for our flesh to rise up and become proud.

A while back the following happened to me concerning this subject.

Something happened here at the house and I said something to my husband concerning this which was funny…clever.  I am not sure I realized it was clever at the moment I said it, but the following happened which let me know something was wrong in what I said.

Right after I said this, my husband laughed.  And, as soon as he laughed, I could feel my flesh puffing up with pride.  But this “puffing up” made me feel so bad.  

I was reminded of the scripture about jesting…But  fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;  neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient:  but rather giving of thanks.  Eph. 5:3-4

I looked up the word “jesting”  A really good definition which shows us what jesting is is the following...

   — To say something in a joking or witty way that shows quick and inventive verbal humor

As I thought about it, I realized it also means...

    To say something that you think is witty which “puffs” you up when someone laughs at what you said because it makes you look clever.

                                
As I was dealing with this, I felt that the key word here that God was impressing me with was the word “clever” (being funny in a way that shows intelligence; marked by wit and ingenuity).

I saw that my flesh felt exalted because of what I said…I did feel clever.

I don’t think this means that we can never share an amusing story or incident with others.  Or that we can never laugh.  But saying something that puffs up our flesh…makes us feel so wise and smart…this is something that we are to avoid doing.

Since this happened I am more cautious to think before I speak.  And, with the Holy Spirit, I think we can evaluate that which we are about to say before we say it.  This happening has certainly made me more aware of letting my flesh rise up in cleverness.

*****