Tuesday, March 3, 2015

There is power in what God speaks to us

Pam Padgett

Psalm 29:4 The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
 

5 The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars; yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.  6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
 

7 The voice of the Lord divideth the flames of fire.
 

8 The voice of the Lord shaketh the wilderness; the Lord shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
 

9 The voice of the Lord maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests:
and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.



God has all power.  Nothing is impossible for God.  HE speaks as HE wills, and it is done. 

And there is great power in the word God gives to us.  When we hear from God by the Holy Spirit, that word will not fail..

While reading Psalm 29 and considering how powerful the word of God is, I was reminded of an account we have of a centurion in Capernaum whose servant was ill ... 

Matthew 8:5 And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, 6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. 7 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.

8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof:
but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.

9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

The centurion believed that whatever Jesus said would be done, even healing his servant. And his servant was healed according to the word Jesus spoke. 

10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

---

Another example ... 
Early one morning about a year ago I woke to find various problems in my house from power outages.  Alarms on power strips were sounding, there was the smell of something hot or smoldering, and lights and electrical outlets were dead in various parts of the house.

Even small electrical problems scare me and now there were problems all around me!  In addition, I hadn't slept well for a few nights previous to this so I was unusually tired.  Seeing all the electrical problems completely overwhelmed me.  I had no strength in myself to deal with this.  All I could manage to do was unplug all electrical devices and crawl back into bed.

As I lay in bed, fears came of the possibility of an electrical fire and that I'd need to get the animals and maybe a few other things out of the house.  But I was so overwhelmed that the thought of trying to make any preparations was just too much for me. 

I started talking to God, telling Him how overwhelmed I was, and laying my fears out before Him, asking Him to protect us.  And I told God that I never wanted to get out of bed again ... having to face all of these problems was just too overwhelming for me. 

Then my attention was drawn to the very strong winds blowing outside with the thought (a word from God given to me by the Holy Spirit) ...  just as God is so powerful that He directs and controls the winds, He is powerful enough to help me with these problems.  I had no strength at all, but there was great power in this word.

As I thought on that word, believing it, I was strengthened and calmed, and was able to get out of bed.  Just a few minutes before, it seemed impossible to get out of bed, but by this word I had strength to get up. 

Step by step, one thought (word) from the Holy Spirit after another, I was shown what to do in order to get power safely restored and to get items that were damaged by the outages repaired or replaced. 

I had no power of myself.  But there was great power in the word given to me by God.  I was strengthened and helped in dealing with these problems, just as I was told by the word given to me by the Holy Spirit.