Sunday, March 22, 2015

Power of God toward us

Pam Padgett

Ephesians 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, 16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; 17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

When considering a few of the ways I have seen the exceeding greatness of the power of God toward me in my life, I was filled with thanksgiving and gratitude toward God.  No one other than God could do these things. 

-- One of the first things I realized when I was born again was that I was changed, and that this change was by the power of God.  Although I had been raised in the Catholic church and participated in the various rituals as we were taught, this was something totally different.  This was the power of God toward me personally, and I was changed by this power.  Sometime later I saw the following scripture and recognized this is what happened to me, and that this happens to each person who is born again ...

2 Corin. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Throughout our lives we find that the power of God continually changes us, conforming us to HIS image as the Holy Spirit works in us.  And by the power of God we are given strength to do the will of God in our lives. 


-- God has given us the Holy Spirit living in us.  What an amazing thing!  Teaching us.  Guiding us into truth.  Interceding for us.  Bringing to us what God speaks to us.  Opening our eyes to things of God.  As we read the Bible, drawing our attention to what we need at that point.   Showing us things to come. 


-- God hears our prayers.  Many times I have needed help and cried out to God.  Often it seems impossible that I could be helped, but God has always been able to "get through" to me in a way I could understand, showing me what to do and giving me the strength to do it. 

An example ... About a year ago I was completely overwhelmed by electrical problems at my house resulting from power outages.  I was so overwhelmed that I had crawled back into bed and never wanted to get out of bed again (the thought of facing these problems was just too much for me).  While laying in bed, I called out to God.

Soon my attention was drawn to the very strong wind blowing outside with the thought: just as God is so powerful that He directs and controls the winds, He is powerful enough to help me with these problems. .  This strengthened me, and I was able to get out of bed.  Then, one thought from the Holy Spirit after another, I was led in what to do to restore power to my house and to get damaged items repaired or replaced.


-- God provides everything we need as we live on this earth ... food, clothing, wisdom, help.   

It was frightening when I retired a few years ago because my income was drastically reduced.  But there has been no want.  I have everything I need, even abundantly, as I've turned to God with my fears and just tried to go in the way I've been led by the Holy Spirit.  During this time I have had several very large unexpected expenses, including vet expenses for my older animals.  Recently I marveled to realize that even these expenses have been no problem ... But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)