Sunday, March 29, 2015

Finishing the race

Pam Padgett - teacher

Paul said ... 
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Runners in a race continue on, putting one foot in front of the other, staying on the path for the race which leads to the finish line.  Not allowing anything to pull them aside from that way.  Not becoming complacent or lazy, nor giving up, but moving forward until they finish the course, getting to the finish line

Similarly, each day we need to deal with what is before us, taking each step we are shown to take by the Holy Spirit.  For we are assured that being led by the Holy Spirit keeps us in the way we are to go for that day, and is completely sufficient for that day,  bringing us to where we need to be at that time which is ever closer to the end of our "course".

In running this race Paul told us he fought a good fight.  We also continually must fight to not be pulled from the way of God.  Our own flesh and that of other people, as well as thoughts the devil brings to our mind all try to pull us another way, often very subtly.

One area we constantly need to deal with is fearful thoughts.   Fearful thoughts ... sometimes seemingly "little" fearful thoughts ... come and if we're not diligent to turn to God with those thoughts, we find we're dealing with matters influenced by the fear rather than being led by the Holy Spirit.  And these fearful thoughts wear at us, troubling us, always there in the "back of our minds".  There is no peace until we turn to God to see how to handle the fear. 

Not long ago my elderly neighbor called.  He had been watching the news and heard about small wild fires that had started several miles from where we live.  He was very stirred up and fearful.  At first it seemed so silly to me that he was concerned about fires so far away and I started to ignore it.  But then I was reminded (by the Holy Spirit) that these fears would affect me As we spoke I began praying.  I realized that I had not even been aware of these distant fires because I hadn't been watching news nor reading the newspaper.  There was not a fire problem we needed to deal with where we live.  I was also reminded of how both my neighbor and I were easily able to leave when fires came within a few miles of our homes a few years ago.  I was even able to get all of my older animals away safely.  I told my neighbor these things.  These fears were unfounded in all directions

Another area we need to continually deal with is being wise in our own eyes.  When I'm facing a problem of some kind, I'm very aware of how wrong, and perhaps dangerous, my own ideas may be and how much I need God's wisdom and guidance.  During these times I find that I pray about even small decisions. 

But a little while after a problem is resolved, its easy to forget to pray.  Its as if we think we have everything in hand when, in fact, we continually need to turn to God in all of our ways.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.

Recently when dealing with one of my dog jumping on a neighbor who brings her dogs to play with mine, I found myself getting frustrated.  Nothing I thought of worked.  Then I remembered to pray and was led to discuss the problem with a trainer.  The trainer suggested putting a leash on the dog during these play times.  If the dog jumped, I am to hold the leash, restraining the dog.  When the dog calms down, I allow her to play unrestrained.  This has worked very well. 

When I saw that I had tried to be wise in my own eyes in this it concerned me.  When I prayed about this, I saw other things I was doing by my own wisdom and asked God to help me remember to turn to Him in all my ways.  Interestingly, it was as if a weight was lifted that I hadn't been aware of.  


Paul also told us he kept the faith, believing and teaching those things he was taught by God.  Many things Paul taught brought hatred toward him from those who didn't believe.  But he didn't change or soften what he had been taught.  He held onto, and preached, those things that God spoke to him. 

Galatians 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. 


Comments by Joan Boney


A problem which I had failed to pray about has to do with telephone solicitors.  They trouble me greatly and no way that I go seems to leave me in peace.  I realized I was trying to figure this out myself.

I asked God to help me with this problem.

I believe that will work and when they call and I pray and do what I believe God shows me to do it will be the right thing.

There is no one right way to go.  I need to pray each time this happens and go in the way I am shown at that time if I am to follow God.

That is the case with many things that happen to us.

We want one answer forever.

It is amazing how angry some people get when we say we asked God about something.  These people, often people who attend church, think we should know what to do ourselves in all things.

But I know I don't know what to do.  And when I do what I don't know, it doesn't work.  When I ask God and follow HIS Spirit, it always works!

Prayer is humbling.

But turning to God continually is the one answer.