Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Works authored by God are not futile

Pam Padgett - teacher

Titus 1:14 And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

Some ideas that come to our minds which seem like good works are of our flesh rising up and are not needed, not necessary. 

A couple years ago my elderly neighbor fell and broke his hip.  After several weeks in a rehab hospital he was able to come back to his home, but is unable to do some of the things he once did, such as shovel snow from his driveway.  (Strangely, shoveling snow is something I enjoy doing.)

The first time we had snow after my neighbor's accident I shoveled my driveway then noticed my neighbor's driveway needed to be cleared so went and shoveled it.  Later my neighbor called and thanked me.  He said he had arranged with a snow removal company to clear his driveway but they were having equipment trouble and had been unable to come that day.  (Before this conversation, I had no idea my neighbor had arranged for snow removal)

Although my shoveling his driveway that day was no problem, this strongly reminded me that I need to be led by the Holy Spirit in "good works".  For I could do something by my flesh that isn't really  needed and could even cause someone trouble (such as a snow removal company coming with the expectation of having a paying job yet have no work to do.)  

But when we are led by the Holy Spirit in doing something, it is necessary.  We go forward in what the Holy Spirit leads us to do for these things are not futile, and they bring forth fruit as God purposed.

I have been trying to stop before doing what seems like a "good" work and to try the spirit bringing the idea, or pray and ask God for wisdom and to be stopped if this work is not of Him.  Only when the work is of God is it truly a "good" work. 


Comments by Joan Boney ...

I have an acquaintance who is very religious but is not born again.  Her religious is based on works that she does.  She does many works ... She goes about her neighborhood each morning and puts the newspapers which have been delivered onto the front porch of her neighbors houses for the entire block.  She told me she would like to stop doing this work.  (After a few weeks, it became a chore.)  But her neighbors complimented her for doing this work and she said she would now have to do it for life.

Mt. 11 ... Jesus said ... 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. 

There are many fleshly works that seem good to a man ...

It is when God authors that work by the Holy Spirit that the work is good.

Mt. 7 ... Jesus says ... 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you:depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So it can all be for naught if it is only a work of the flesh.

We certainly want to help people when help is really needed but some help can even be against the word of God.

For example:  Paul said if the man would not work "neither shall he eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

By giving food to non-working, able bodied men, some church groups violate this "commandment" issued by the apostle Paul by the Spirit of God.

Often I think of sending a message to an individual but I am very cautious about doing this until I try that spirit that is telling me to send the message.  It can be harmful to deliver a message unless it is authored by God.  When I do try the spirit, I often find it is not the spirit of God urging me to send this message.

The devil will assign many "good" works to those religious people who let him do this.  Also the flesh enters into doing many works not authored by God.

So we try the spirit behind the idea to do the work ... we pray, asking God if this is what HE wants done ... We show a diligent effort to do only those works that are authored by God.