Saturday, June 15, 2019

God provides all the help we need

Pam Padgett ... member of the body of Christ and gift of helps

Recently I was thinking about the various things that needed to be done in Lubbock from late December until Joan moved to Colorado Springs at the end of February, 2019, and marveled at how God provided everyone we needed in Lubbock.

Incredibly, I do not remember ever thinking "I wish Sandra was still in the picture". (she lived in Lubbock and had been in our church group)

There was no need of any kind, for God led me in who to contact and gave those people a heart and the ability to help.

I went to Lubbock last December 25, 2018, wanting to see if there was some way I could help Joan in the horrible situation at the first rehab center, Crown Point.  It quickly became apparent that there was no way for Joan to stay at Crown Point, for the people there were very hostile toward Joan.

She needed to go to another rehab center.

I prayed diligently about Joan getting to a place that would work well for her.

We had a recommendation from Nurse Donna for one rehab center, but they didn't have any available single rooms.

A representative from another rehab center came to evaluate whether they would accept Joan, and the interview with Joan went very well.  It looked like that is where Joan would go.  But mid-afternoon on Friday, after that representative spoke with the social worker at Crown Point, they decided not to accept Joan.  (We discovered later that the exceedingly evil report given against Joan by Crown Point caused the other rehab center to reject taking her.)

I had inquired about one other place, Carillon.  But by late Friday afternoon, their representative had not shown up for an interview.  I was very concerned, pleading with God to open up something for Joan.

Then at about 4:30 p.m. my telephone rang.  It was Ashley from Carillon.

She said she wouldn't be able to come for an interview, but that they had decided to accept Joan without doing an interview.  Incredible!

When I told the social worker at Crown Point this, she was shocked.

Joan was moved to Carillon on Monday afternoon.  Joan reported that she wasn't afraid to be there as she had been at Crown Point.

==

While in Lubbock in December, Joan asked me to arrange with a realtor to sell the house and to see about how to get rid of what she didn't want to keep.  Tom (contractor) recommended a realtor, and I met with him and signed a contract for him to actively list the house once it was cleared out.

While meeting with the realtor, I asked if he knew of any estate sale people, and he sent me some names.  (Although this realtor later did nothing to sell the house and we fired him, the estate sale names he provided were very helpful.) 

To take care of furniture and items Joan wanted to keep, all I needed to do was to go through the house and put a sheet of paper saying "Keep" or "To Storage" on items Joan wanted to keep.  Then Tom and his workers came in and packed those things very well.

As I was driving back to Colorado Springs on New Year's day, 2019, Tom and the guys who work for him were putting what needed to go into storage into a storage unit I had rented just down the street from Joan's house.  When there was a problem in fitting everything into the unit, Tom called me.  I pulled the car to the side of the road.  Since it was a holiday, the storage manager was not at the facility.  But since I had already opened the account with the storage facility, it was easy for me to contact the manager at the emergency number and rent a second storage unit over the phone from the side of the highway.   He already had all the contact and billing information needed.

Then the dogs and I continued back to Colorado Springs while Tom and his workers moved the remaining furniture into the second storage unit.

==

After I got to Colorado Springs, I continued to be able to manage what needed to be done in Lubbock, God providing the people needed in Lubbock (approximately 500 miles away)

One example is when I received an email from a supervisor at the first rehab center saying they had forgotten to give some of Joan's medicine supply to us when we moved Joan to Carillon.  I'm sure I prayed asking how to handle this.  Oralia was called to my attention.  I contacted Oralia asking if she could help with this at her convenience.  Although her husband was terribly ill during this time, she said she would take care of picking up the medicine and taking it to Carillon that day ... and she followed through with what she said she would do.  I simply gave Oralia's name to the supervisor at Crown Point and told her that Oralia was picking this up on my behalf.

Several times during this time, Tom was brought to my attention regarding various matters, and he was always willing to help.

Through the names given by the first realtor, we were able to find a woman to prepare for and run the estate sale.  Tom met with her at Joan's house so she could see if she wanted to do the sale.  She did!  Together with a woman who worked with her and her son-in-law, she displayed the items for sale so nicely, took care of advertising, and held a 3-day estate sale.  Then she arranged for anything that didn't sell in the sale to be sold in bulk to someone.

She handled everything, clearing the house of everything Joan didn't want to keep.

Tom and his workers then took care of minor repairs and painting.

It doesn't seem possible that everything could be taken care of with my being in Colorado Springs most of the time.  But God made a way that was very easy.  There was no lack of any help that was needed.

I keep being reminded of The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)




*****