Friday, April 13, 2018

Allowing ourselves to be led by God's plans


Pam Padgett ... Member of body of Christ

Yesterday morning, I was talking with God about a project I had been considering ... converting the downstairs room where I currently have my TV and sound system into a bedroom and bath.

(At this point in time, all bedrooms and full baths are upstairs.)

I also was thinking of remodeling the kitchen at the same time, something I have wanted to do for a long time but needed to move the half-bath somewhere in order to do it as I wanted.

By adding a full bath in the downstairs bedroom, the half-bath wouldn't be needed, was my thinking.

It seemed that, except for where to put the sound system, I could generally see how to do this.

And there is money in my retirement savings that could be used to do the project. But I didn't want to jump into something in my own wisdom and really needed some kind of confirmation about what, if anything, to do.

Then yesterday evening Joan called and left a message asking me to call her back.

As I picked up the phone to call her, I prayed asking God to direct our conversation. 
 
Joan told me she was considering getting another TV and asked if I wanted her current TV for my TV room if she did this.

I told her I was considering converting my TV room into a bedroom and didn't know what I was going to need in terms of a TV.

This was the first time I had mentioned to Joan what I had been considering about putting a bedroom on the main level of my house.

She was immediately interested in this.

Initially we couldn't see how to put the sound system in the fireplace area.

But when I mentioned that I wanted to close up the current double doorway between the two rooms, Joan saw that the sound system could sit in that area. She even had the idea to recess the wall a little, making a little alcove for the TV, which I think would look very nice.

But Joan was concerned when I mentioned remodeling the kitchen at the same time.

She sent me an email and then called me with her concern. The kitchen remodel made the project very large. By removing it, the project would be much smaller and easier to do in every way.

My mind was blocked into thinking all of this needed to be done at once by my desire to change the kitchen, when really the kitchen and half-bath can stay the way they are temporarily.

As we talked I recalled having prayed that morning, asking God about this project, and also later asking God to direct our conversation as Joan and I spoke on the phone, and marveled in the way all of this unfolded. 

 
Another thing ... last night before going to sleep I again went over 2 scriptures that stood out to me on the blog that day. I had spent time thinking on these scriptures. It was as though I had been prepared for being willing to change my thinking about needing to remodel the kitchen at this time.

Psalm 86:11    Teach me THY way, O LORD; I will walk in THY truth: unite my heart to fear THY name.

  
"Unite my heart to fear THY name" ... unite my heart to obey and uphold YOUR Word and go in YOUR way for me, Lord, not seeking my own will nor approval of man; fear going in a way other than the way God leads me, knowing HIS way is the best way for me.


James 3:17     But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
Joan had made a note on the blog which really stood out to me ...

pure:  authored by God not by our own flesh


*****

Comments by Joan Boney

Pam has helped her 86-year-old neighbor as he has learned to live in an upstairs area because he does not have downstairs bedroom bath.  He would like to move downstairs where his kitchen is located but he can't do this because he has no downstairs bedroom nor full bath.  When you get into your 80's, you usually cannot take on building projects because of physical strain.  Jim has cancer and some other problems.  He cannot even go down the stairs and it confined to his upstairs.  Even adding a chair lift is too difficult for him to consider at this point.  He has the money but the strain of workers in construction in his house doing things is too much for him to consider.

Pam is in her early 60's and now is likely a good time for her to take on the projects she desires.
But even Pam gets more tired now than before.  Of course this is natural.  The one thing each of us must do is to recognize what is best for us as we grow older and make downward adjustments.  I used to be able to handle an enormous number of things in one day easily.  Now I usually do no more than one thing per day for I find that is best for me now that I am 80.

Eccl. 3:1    To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

My concern for Pam was the plan to do everything at the same time ... would it be best for Pam to do both projects at the same time or would it end up being easier to focus on one project at a time. 

She could easily do the TV/ bedroom / bath & shower part of the project without too much difficulty.  The kitchen adds a considerably larger strain to the project.   It all comes down to which way would be best for Pam.

There was another spirit in Pam which showed itself by her saying, "It's just the way I am.  I always want to do all at once."  

But I think this is now broken up so that Pam can consider another way. 

She will just have to sort out this with God, and I know she will ... and God will show her what is best for her. 

As we grow older, we must recognize what is best for us and adjust accordingly so we can live better ... otherwise we will likely not function as well as we could have done had we cut back and spaced our shopping (or activities) into more days than we did at earlier points in our lives.


*****