Friday, April 27, 2018

The power that works in us.


Ephesians 3:20    Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,


*****

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

The power that works in us is the HOLY Spirit who teaches us all things, reminds us of that which Jesus has said, guides us into all truth, and shows us things to come.

John 14:26    But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, HE shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13    Howbeit when HE, the Spirit of truth, is come, HE will guide you into all truth: for HE shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever HE shall hear (from God), that shall HE speak: and HE will shew you things to come.


The Holy Spirit does this by bringing thoughts, ideas, scriptures, and concepts to our minds. 

Thus HE leads us and guides us in the way we are to go in the various issues of this present life.


*****


And it is God who knows things we need to learn and changes we need to make and HE often shows us by having the Holy Spirit bring to our minds a scripture ... at one time there will be one scripture then at another time another scripture.

As we focus on the scripture brought to us and do that scripture over and over in this life, that scripture becomes a part of us and works it's way fully through us.

We don't all need the same scripture at the same time.  Each of us must learn to pay attention to that scripture which is brought to mind by the Holy Spirit at any specific time.  Focus on that scripture as long as it has "life" for you.  Let it work through your life as you think on it and do it.  Stay with that verse as long as it has life, as long as you delight in reading it for it is doing a work in you.  Then there will be another scripture.  Focus on it, allowing it to work through you.  This is the way God leads us by HIS Spirit and recreates us into that "new" creature.


*****


Several years ago, I was reading in Ephesians and chapter 4, verse 29 caught my attention.  (Holy Spirit causing my attention to focus on this scripture.)

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I began thinking of what I had been speaking to people as I encountered them at various places.

Was what I said "edifying", causing them to be built in the faith and in the ways of God?

Shortly after focusing on this instruction, I was visiting in the home of my neighbors.  It was during the USA presidential elections.  I had a strong desire to ask, "And what do you think about the election."  (mostly I wanted to tell what I thought)

If I ask that, will I cause them to be built in spiritual things?  Of course not.

But I wanted very much to ask this.

I finally went home without mentioning the elections.

Because my attention had focused on this scripture in Ephesians 4, my way of speaking was altered.


*****


At another point in time,  I was reading in Philippians 2, and the Holy Spirit caused me to focus on the following:

3-7   Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  But made Himself of no reputation,

(Even though Jesus was in the form of God, HE didn't have to try to show Himself equal to God.  Therefore HE didn't have to do things to make Himself to be of great reputation.  Instead HE made Himself of no reputation among men.)

I began thinking about this, how much we want to exalt ourselves ... and as a result of thinking about this and seeing the instruction not to do this but rather to make ourselves of "no" reputation, I started making changes and withholding those things that my own flesh wanted to do to exalt myself.

After several months of doing this scripture, I know I was changed.


*****

Thus focusing on the scripture brought to your attention by the Holy Spirit and by doing that scripture over and over for a season is a great power of God in our lives.


*****