Sunday, April 29, 2012

Covetousness

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Hebrews 13:  5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

We’re instructed to let our conversation (manner of life) be without covetousness (wanting to possess something, typically that belongs to another).  Rather, we are to be content (satisfied). 

While considered this instruction, and the promise that follows … for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee … I thought about how nothing on this earth is more desirable than God being with me, the Holy Spirit living within me bringing forth the exact word from God needed to help me, guide me, protect me, and keep me in the way I am to go.  And, in addition, God provides everything I need. 

Phil. 4: 19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Nothing on this earth, nothing that we could ever want to possess, even starts to compare to these things.

While thinking about these things, I recalled what we’re told in Psalm 19 …

Psalm 19: 7The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul:  the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.  8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart:  the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.  10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. 

11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward


The law, testimony, statutes, commandment, and judgments of God proceed from the mouth of God.  They show us the way we are to go and establish us in this way.  There is nothing more wonderful than to know God’s way, His will, for us in each matter we are facing, and there is great reward for us if we conform our lives to His ways.