Friday, June 9, 2017

Instruction in Righteousness: I Corinthians 1


II Timothy 3:16    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:


*****

I Corinthians 1:1-2    Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Sanctified:  to those set aside by God by HIS will for HIS purpose


*****

Before I was born again the Bible didn't mean much to me.

After God revealed HIMSELF to me, the Bible was that which I most wanted to read to see what God had to say.

I had a pocket size New Testament which I carried in my purse and would read as I waited for appointments and for people.

One day, my best friend said to me, "You really love the Word of God."

Yes, I do.

For the past 40 years, I have just read and reread the New Testament from Matthew through Revelation.

I am persuaded that by the scripture I am renewed, confirmed in the way I am going, and if need be can make appropriate corrections to my life by the scripture and the Spirit of God.


*****

I Corinthians 1:5   That in every thing ye are enriched by HIM, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

6-9   Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God is faithful, by WHOM ye were called unto the fellowship of HIS Son Jesus Christ our Lord.


*****

God puts knowledge in us and causes us to be able to speak.  It is all of God, not of ourselves.

Our sufficiency is of God.

II Cor. 3:5-6    Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

We can know we do not fail when we speak what God has brought to our mind to speak by HIS Spirit.  Even when they turn and leave us we do not fail.  It simply shows us they are not of God when they depart from us.

I Jn. 2:18-19   Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

*****


I Corinthians 1:25-29   Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

That no flesh should glory in HIS presence.



*****


I consider myself to be very weak.  I'm only strong when the Holy Spirit shows me something of God.  Otherwise I am very weak.

I find I can hardly go among people.  I come away so shaky and grieved, until I get with God again and am restored again in HIS way of thinking.  I know I am easily swayed by the flesh, my own flesh and the flesh of others.  I have to live very carefully.

I watch people of the church who are married to unbelievers and surrounded by unbelievers and I marvel at this for I know I couldn't do this. 

However God does confound people by me.  My own cousin said to me, "I know you are of God.  I just don't know how you can be." 

(She doesn't understand being born again although she has been in church all her life.  She probably isn't born again but she is very moral.)

By the weak, God confounds the wise.

Usually God doesn't choose that great, noble, mighty, well known celebrity of this world.  For masses of people would follow such a person and glory in him rather than glorying in God. 

God calls that person who is weak and despicable to be HIS and by that the mighty are confused.


*****


I Corinthians 1:30-31   But of HIM are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.



*****


People seem to want to have their own wisdom, thinking they did something.  They delight in glorying in themselves as if they thought of "that" and are so clever.

I know I didn't think of "that" when I see something to do to make things better.  I'm sure it wasn't in me.  And I glory in God who gave that information.

I know wisdom is from God and when I am wise it is because God put it in me so I can marvel in God and not in myself.


*****


A woman was telling me the story of when she first saw the man who was going to be her husband.  She said she was in the village grocery store and saw him and asked the grocer,
"Who is that?"  and the grocer told her.  She replied to the grocer, "I'm going to marry him." 

I loved hearing this story for I recognized God and knew it was a word of wisdom she had from God.

I said to her, "That was a word of wisdom from God."

She looked hesitant and there was no excitement nor rejoicing.  I could tell she didn't believe me. And she even seemed a little frightened.

I don't know why she didn't want to see that it was God who showed her that.  She is a Baptist woman.  I don't know where she thought that information she spoke came from.  Is it that she thought it was wisdom from her own self and glorified her somehow?

But I knew it was a word of wisdom from God and this caused me to rejoice in God.

I Corinthians 12:7-8   But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;


*****

After I was born again and read in the Bible about spiritual gifts, I was so interested.

I was with my aunt who was Church of Christ and I asked her what spiritual gifts God had given her. 

She paused as she thought about this, and then said, "I always thought I had a gift of love."

But love is given to all who are of God.  Love is not one of the spiritual gifts.  I could tell my aunt who had been a church member for 40+ years didn't have any idea what the spiritual gifts are that are listed for us in Romans 12 and I Corinthians 12.

Romans 12:6-8    Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering (serving) : or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

I Corinthians 12:1   Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

4-11    Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as HE will.


*****

I know God is salvation and I am HIS not because of me but because it was HIS will to show me HIMSELF and to have mercy on me.

And God is righteousness.  When I do see something from the Bible it is because God opened my eyes to see.  God opened the scriptures to me.  God allowed me to see so I could go in HIS way of righteousness on this earth.

It amazes me that so many people want to believe wisdom is from themselves.

I know wisdom is from God and not of my own self.


*****