Friday, June 16, 2017

Instruction in Righteousness: From I Corinthians 8


Paul speaks of things offered to "idols". 

Today we have many things offered to "superstitions" and "traditions" which worldly people observe faithfully. 

I believe these things are today's versions of "idols". 

Certainly the believer should not partake of such things.

Some of today's idols are:

* Eating foods that the world thinks to be lucky:  such as black-eyed-peas on New Years Day

* Recently I saw a young woman who dyed her hair green.  I was shocked and said, "You dyed your hair green."  She replied:  "That is for Saint Patrick's Day.  I don't want to be pinched."

Sometimes they live in things I've never heard of before.

* Sports fans have many idols and traditions.  I see them doing funny hand signals, as fans, which are presumably done as a curse on the other team.  The TV camera delights in showing such.

Sometimes clothing is worn and presented as being "lucky".

Sometimes there will be a statue which the players touch for luck as they run out of the tunnel, onto the field.  Again TV cameras delight in showing such.

*  Worldly people have tradition of going to cemeteries and decorating graves on specific days.  These are pagan rituals which should have no meaning to Christians who understand the truth that dead people are asleep and when Jesus returns, those who died in Christ will rise to meet Jesus in the air.  I Thess. 4

But when we know something is offered to an "idol" or is thought to bring "luck", we, as Christians, do not want to participate.

* Another common superstition of today's world is to click drinking glasses together to cause luck.  I certainly do not do this.  I have been at table when others did this.  I made no offer to participate and they just clicked their glasses among themselves.

*  A ridiculous worldly tradition is toasting one another as if the human has any wisdom of future or power to bless another.  I shudder when I see such.  Power is of God and HE is the only one I would want to honor.  I abhor all things humans do which attributes power to themselves.

* Other superstitions are often stated by humans.  When a woman would say these things to me, I replied, "That's not in the Bible."  showing the Bible is what I want to live by.  She always became angry when I said that.

If you are a Christian, think of what you are doing.

Paul speaks of such in following scripture.


*****

I Corinthians 8:1-13   Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

But if any man love God, the same is known of HIM.

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

(As the idol has no power, we humans have no power either.  Power is God.)

For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in HIM; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by HIM.

Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.


*****

for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

God said to me, by HIS Spirit, concerning those who call crackers and grape juice "The Lord's Supper" or "Communion".

If you eat crackers and grape juice for the Lord's supper, neither are you the better, neither are you the worse if you eat not.

Crackers and grape juice have no power.

The Lord's Supper, Communion, is eating and drinking the Word of God.

I believe crackers and grape juice are some kind of church idol.


*****