Monday, February 24, 2014

Scripture: Shared by body of Christ

Acts 2:38-39 ... Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Exhortation:  Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet


My cousin is Church of Christ member.  Acts 2:38 is one of the favorite scriptures of the Church of Christ group but this is the way they quote it: Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, 

They leave out the part about receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.  They likely don't understand what the Holy Spirit does and what a "great gift" it is to have.

By the Holy Spirit we know the will of God.  I Cor. 2

The Holy Spirit teaches us all things.  Jn. 14:26

The Holy Spirit reminds us of everything Jesus has said.  Jn. 16:13

The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth.  Jn. 16:13

The Holy Spirit shows us things to come.  Jn. 16:13

The Holy Spirit is a comforter in the midst of trouble.  The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth showing us truth in the issues of this life.  The Holy Spirit even shows us the motives of men from time to time so we will not be deceived and so we can live in peace and deal wisely in worldly things.

I suspect my cousin's church group thought Holy Spirit meant speaking in tongues and it might.  But it is much, much more.  And without the Spirit of God you cannot belong to God.  Roman 8

The Holy Spirit is power ... Acts 1

When I was baptised the second time, and the minister lowered me into the water, I heard:  "This is like being buried with Christ.

As I came out of the water, I heard, "This is like being raised with Christ."

The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, was preaching the gospel to me.  Romans 6