Saturday, May 25, 2019

The apostle Paul went through so much trouble, especially after he became a Christian.


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

The apostle Paul said, in his letter to the Galatians,

Galatians 1:1    Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised HIM from the dead;)

To identify himself as "an apostle" must have taken a lot of faith in God, because Paul was known as a persecutor of Christians and many who believed in Jesus were afraid of Paul ... and some who called themselves Christians, did not believe Paul to be an apostle.

We can see some of the unbelief about Paul from church circles by Paul's statement as follows:

I Corinthians 9:2    If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.


***

After Jesus revealed Himself to Paul, on the road to Damascus, God called Ananias and told Ananias to go to Paul and help him.

Ananias replied to God:  Acts 9:13-14    Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:  And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.

Ananias and the church people who know of Paul were, at first, afraid of Paul.

God said to Ananias:  Acts 9:15-16    Go thy way: for he (Paul) is a chosen vessel unto ME, to bear MY name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:  For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for MY name's sake.


***

Then Paul had to deal with the Jews who had once loved him and now hated him since he had changed sides.

For Paul had been a persecutor of the Christians ... and now he switched sides and became a Christian.

This was unthinkable, for Paul was highly trained in the religion of the Jewish Pharisees, and was even taught by Gamliel.


***

Acts 9:1-6    And Saul (Paul), yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,  And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou Me? 


And he said, Who art thou, Lord

And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 

And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?

And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. 

(Paul couldn't see anything when he arose from the ground.  He was without sight for 3 days, until Ananias came to him, by commandment of God, and laid his hands on Paul and then his sight returned to him.)


***

Paul says of himself:  Philippians 3:4-9   Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
 

And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:


***

Now instead of persecuting the followers of Jesus, Paul began preaching Jesus as the promised Savior.  This infuriated the Jews against Paul.

And Paul was even going after the king to try to persuade him to become a Christian!

Acts 25:1-12    Now when Festus was come into the province, after three days he ascended from Caesarea to Jerusalem.

Then the high priest and the chief of the Jews informed him against Paul, and besought him, And desired favour against him
(against Paul), that he would send for him to Jerusalem, laying wait in the way to kill him.

But Festus answered, that Paul should be kept at Caesarea, and that he himself would depart shortly thither. Let them therefore, said he, which among you are able, go down with me, and accuse this man, if there be any wickedness in him.

And when he had tarried among them more than ten days, he went down unto Caesarea; and the next day sitting on the judgment seat commanded Paul to be brought.

And when he was come, the Jews which came down from Jerusalem stood round about, and laid many and grievous complaints against Paul, which they could not prove.

While he
(Paul) answered for himself, Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended any thing at all.

But Festus, willing to do the Jews a pleasure, answered Paul, and said, Wilt thou go up to Jerusalem, and there be judged of these things before me?


Then said Paul, I stand at Caesar's judgment seat, where I ought to be judged: to the Jews have I done no wrong, as thou very well knowest.  For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar.

Then Festus, when he had conferred with the council, answered, Hast thou appealed unto Caesar? unto Caesar shalt thou go.


***


Acts 25:13-22   And after certain days king Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to salute Festus.

And when they had been there many days, Festus declared Paul's cause unto the king, saying, There is a certain man left in bonds by Felix: About whom, when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews informed me, desiring to have judgment against him.

To whom I answered, It is not the manner of the Romans to deliver any man to die, before that he which is accused have the accusers face to face, and have licence to answer for himself concerning the crime laid against him.

Therefore, when they were come hither, without any delay on the morrow I sat on the judgment seat, and commanded the man to be brought forth.

Against whom when the accusers stood up, they brought none accusation of such things as I supposed:  But had certain questions against him of their own superstition, and of one Jesus, which was dead, whom Paul affirmed to be alive.

And because I doubted of such manner of questions, I asked him whether he would go to Jerusalem, and there be judged of these matters.

But when Paul had appealed to be reserved unto the hearing of Augustus, I commanded him to be kept till I might send him to Caesar.

Then Agrippa said unto Festus, I would also hear the man myself. 

To morrow, said he, thou shalt hear him.


*** 

Acts 25:23-27    And on the morrow, when Agrippa was come, and Bernice, with great pomp, and was entered into the place of hearing, with the chief captains, and principal men of the city, at Festus' commandment Paul was brought forth.

And Festus said, King Agrippa, and all men which are here present with us, ye see this man, about whom all the multitude of the Jews have dealt with me, both at Jerusalem, and also here, crying that he ought not to live any longer.

But when I found that he had committed nothing worthy of death, and that he himself hath appealed to Augustus, I have determined to send him.

Of whom I have no certain thing to write unto my lord. Wherefore I have brought him forth before you, and specially before thee, O king Agrippa, that, after examination had, I might have somewhat to write.

For it seemeth to me unreasonable to send a prisoner, and not withal to signify the crimes laid against him.


***

Acts 26:1-28     Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Thou art permitted to speak for thyself. 

Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself:

I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews:

Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently.

My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God, unto our fathers:

Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth.

Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests,

At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 

And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 

And I said, Who art thou, Lord

And HE said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.   But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me. 

Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: 

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.  

For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me

Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come: 

That Christ should suffer, and that HE should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.  

And as he (Paul) thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad. 

But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.
For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.


King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. 

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. 

***

The Jews wanted to kill Paul after Paul switched sides.

Acts 9    And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul (Paul) certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.

And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests? 


But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ. 

And after that many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel to kill him: 

But their laying await was known of Saul. And they watched the gates day and night to kill him.

Then the disciples took him by night, and let him down by the wall in a basket.


***

Paul tries to join himself to the apostles but they are afraid of Paul.

Acts 9:26-30  And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.

But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that HE had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.

And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem.

And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.

Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus.


***

Acts 13:1-4    Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 

As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul  (Paul) for the work whereunto I have called them

And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.


***

The Jews allowed Paul to speak in the synagogue ... at first ...

If you want to hear the apostle Paul preach a message, here it is ... one of Paul's first recorded messages, which was preached to Jews in a synagogue.

Acts 13:14-49    But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on. 

Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

The God of this people of Israel chose our fathers, and exalted the people when they dwelt as strangers in the land of Egypt, and with an high arm brought HE them out of it. And about the time of forty years suffered HE their manners in the wilderness.

And when HE had destroyed seven nations in the land of Chanaan, he divided their land to them by lot.


And after that HE gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.

And afterward they desired a king: and God gave unto them Saul the son of Cis, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, by the space of forty years.

And when HE had removed him, HE raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also HE gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after MINE own heart, which shall fulfil all MY will. 


Of this man's seed hath God according to His promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus

When John had first preached before His coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.

And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not HE. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of His feet I am not worthy to loose.  

(Then Paul preaches:)

Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.

For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew HIM not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning HIM.

And though they found no cause of death in HIM, yet desired they Pilate that HE should be slain.

And when they had fulfilled all that was written of HIM, they took HIM down from the tree, and laid HIM in a sepulchre.

But God raised HIM from the dead:

And HE was seen many days of them which came up with HIM from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are HIS witnesses unto the people.

And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that HE hath raised up Jesus again; 

as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art MY Son, this day have I begotten thee.

And as concerning that HE
(God) raised HIM (Jesus) up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he (David) said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

Wherefore he
(David) saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

But HE
(Jesus), whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through THIS MAN 
(Jesus) is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

And by HIM
(Jesus) all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.

Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. 

For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region.


***

Acts 13:50-52   But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts.

But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium.

And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.


***

So Paul went from city to city preaching the Jesus WHOM he once persecuted.  Paul suffered from the unbelieving Jews and also from the unbelieving church who failed to recognize Paul as an apostle.  Paul didn't fit the description of an apostle when Peter spoke in Acts 1 as they were hunting the man who would replace Judas as apostle and become the 12th apostle, who was named Matthais.

Acts 1:14-26    These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)

Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.


Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,  Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of His resurrection. 

(The requirements for the man who was to become the apostle, taking Judas' place:  He had to have been with the apostles from the time of John the Baptist until Jesus was resurrected into heaven.

Notice how Paul did not fit these stipulations because Paul was out persecuting the church at that time.) 

Acts 1   And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,  That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

(So Matthias became the 12th apostle ... not Paul.)

Where then does Paul fit?

Ephesians 4 ... v. 8  When HE (Jesus) ascended up on high, HE led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men... vv. 11-12   And HE gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

This is where Paul fit.  Paul was called by Jesus and set into the body of Christ as an apostle and teacher after Jesus arose.

Paul was one of the first of those New Testament apostles, set into the church by Jesus after HE arose.

In today's church, apostles and prophets, along with evangelists and pastors and teachers, are set on this earth to minister to the church, though in a majority of cases today churches have cast out the apostles and prophets.

Nevertheless, the apostles and prophets ordained by Jesus, and not by man, continue to this day to do the work of the ministry ... perhaps on radio or Internet ... for today's church groups usually deny these ministry offices that are set in the church by Jesus.


***

Paul was doubted in his day, though today the churches who deny today's apostles and prophets, often praise Paul.  

(Don't worry ... God will straighten all this out at the day of judgment when all will be judged for their works, "whether good or bad" ...) 

II Corinthians 5:10-11 ... For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.  Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men

In his day, Paul said of himself, as he did the work of apostle and teacher,

II Corinthians 11:5-6   For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.

But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge; but we have been throughly made manifest among you in all things.



***

II Corinthians 11:21-28    I speak as concerning reproach, as though we had been weak. Howbeit whereinsoever any is bold, (I speak foolishly,) I am bold also.

Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.

Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.


***

Today we, who are set in the body of Christ by Jesus, as apostles and prophets, endure many of the same things Paul endured and we do the same work Paul did in trying to hold on to the  doctrine of Christ of Bible, though we often have to do it on radio or Internet instead of directly in the church gathering.  

Nevertheless the work of apostle/prophet continues in the church itself today!


***

Jesus says:

John 16:1-3    These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.

They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor Me.



*****