Saturday, August 12, 2017

Concerning Hymns ...


Joan  Boney ... apostle/prophet


I am collecting hymns which edify the church.  So far, I have only come up with a portion of one hymn ... (I am sure there are more) 

So many hymns have an appearance of godliness but when we get into the hymn we often find it is the rhythm of the music that is appealing to our fleshly emotions. 

What do those lyrics express?  Is it true godliness ... are the words scriptural, based on Bible truths ... or are they just fleshly words which cater to the rhythm of that music? 


***** 

Several years ago, when on radio, I did a few meetings with a wonderful singer from the church I attended.  She told me so many songs are fleshly, devoid of the Spirit. 

This is the first time I had heard this. 

But I find it true.  Often it is the rhythm and music itself is appealing to flesh of man.  Music greatly affects emotions. (flesh of man)

***** 

As in all things pertaining to God, we have to be careful.

So far, the only hymn I have placed on my collection is this:



Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.


And even then, I chose only the first verse & refrain. 

When we consider the lines of the above, we find we are built up in the faith and strengthened.  That is what should happen.

 ***** 

So seriously consider those hymns you allow into your heart ... are they really spiritual?  Bible truths?

When they are, it is wonderful and can help us greatly. 

Music itself cannot help us.  We might have a temporary rush of emotional feeling from music but it is only when we think of the word of God that we are truly helped.


*****