Thursday, April 2, 2015

Jesus able to help us in times of temptations

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Heb. 2 ... 18 For in that HE (Jesus) HIMSELF hath suffered being tempted, HE is able to succour them that are tempted.

succour means ... assist and support in time of hardship and distress / give aid to

Jesus went through every temptation known to man, "yet without sin".  HE knows how to help us when we are tempted.

Tempt has a very interesting definition.  It means ... enticed to do something that they find attractive but know to be wrong or not beneficial ... risky or dangerous that is usually of undesirable consequences.

James 1 ... 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust (desire), and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin:and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Of course lust could be sexual.  This is certainly a major problem, especially when we are younger.

But lust could also be a desire to achieve reputation among men, a desire to be something special, a desire to be praised by men.

The flesh and devil often conspire to fulfill lust.  But first our flesh is involved.  It would be very difficult for the devil to tempt us in something we didn't find attractive.

For example.  I have an old car (21 years old).  I have no desire at all for new car.  I mostly use the car to go to grocery which is approximately 1 1/2 miles from my house.  And I am 77 years old.  I have no plans nor desire to ever leave the town I live in again.

An area at this point in my life which would be much more attractive would be in getting to share things of God with the church.  "What's wrong with that," one might ask.  "How could that be used as a temptation?"

My assignment from God at this point in time is to write exhortations for the church, encouraging us in the way of God and warning us concerning various things that could pull us away from the way of God.

I receive invitations to go to foreign countries, especially India and Africa, to speak to ministers at conference to help them in church dealings.  This is something I love to do ... thus it is an area which could reach me...if I would allow it.

But my assignment from God is not to travel to foreign countries and speak to ministers.  My assignment from God is to do these writings.   

And how very foolish and dangerous it would be to go off to foreign countries.

First, they never offer to pay anything at all for the trip.  I would have to drain all my money to do this.

Second, I am 77 years old and slightly crippled due to an accident and operation.  It takes all my energy at this point to do these writings.  Often I will study and write for 4 hours or so and then go to bed for an hour or so.  Then I will do more study and writings.  Travel would likely destroy me, wear me out without cause.  What I am currently doing goes all over the world instantly.  It travels for me.  All I have to do is sit in my own house, read Bible, pray, hear from the Spirit of God and write that which God gives me.  It costs nothing at all to send these writings out on blog.

Jesus says HIS yoke is easy ... HIS burden is light ...

Mt. 11 ... 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Sometimes our own ego would send us all over the world physically ... even to preach the gospel which appeals to goodness but it could just be ego, wanting to be greater, wanting to be bigger, wanting to be more impressive, wanting to be better known among men.

Jesus even warns about this ... Mt. 23 ...  15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

So such things can be temptations ... Jesus has been tempted in all ways like as we are, yet without sin.

The devil offered Jesus all the glory of men.

Mt. 4 ... 8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan:for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

First the devil showed Jesus all the kingdoms of the world ... all the possibilities available to HIM ... all the glory ... if only he would do what the devil told him to do.

But Jesus had another assignment which was to die on a cross for our sins. (so Jesus could chose wealth & fame or the cross)   HE had a firm understanding of God's will for HIM.  And Jesus went forward always directly toward God's will for HIM, even to death on a cross (the most despicable way of all to die).

Phil. 2 ... 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant (servant to God), and was made in the likeness of men:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him,

Therefore when we are tempted we can come to HIM in prayer asking for help in the temptation.  We consider the characteristics of yoking ourselves to HIM.  His yoke is easy.  And HE is "lowly in heart", not high minded.

The way of God is so different from the way of our own flesh.