Sunday, April 19, 2015

Refusing to allow things to control us

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

The apostle Paul said:

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Paul is saying he will not allow any thing to control him.

A few days ago, I was driving down street and thought of ice cream.  (I'm really not an ice cream eater and never have been but I know if I purchased ice cream I would eat far more than I needed and therefore ice cream would control me.)

If I need milk, I can drink a glass of milk.  I can control that.  I am never tempted to drink an entire gallon of milk.

We have to beware of being set on fire and losing control.  We need to take steps when something begins to control us. 

Recently I bought some chocolate covered dried fruits.  I found I couldn't eat a reasonable amount.  I would actually eat these until my stomach began to hurt.

Yesterday morning, I came to the position of "enough".  I can control such things one way or another.  I got a large garbage bag and went through my junk foods and threw away the bags (plural) of chocolate covered fruits ... I threw away cookies which I had frozen and can't control when I begin eating them.  If I can't control them one way, I can take steps to control them another way.

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Sometimes I will awaken in the morning and find evidence that in the night I've been on an eating binge.  I found an empty freezer bag in my bedroom yesterday morning.  What had been in that bag? I wondered.  I examined the bag carefully and found it had contained some chicken salad which I had frozen.  I had apparently eaten some of the contents for I found the remainder in the refrigerator.  I have only a vague recall of having eaten this.

When moderation has disappeared, that becomes a sign to take some form of action.

Discipline and moderation are parts of caring for our soul ... not just our body.

If we are out of control in one area, it can spread like leaven.

Paul said he didn't let something take power over him ... I do not want anything taking control over me this way either.

The same thing applies to overwatching TV.  And it applies to being on fire to purchase various items with the item controlling our thinking and setting us on fire.

All things need to be controlled by us and not have them be in control over us.  When we find we are thinking too much of an item that is the time to take heed. Certainly we can ask God to help us.  HE might work a miracle but most likely HE will show us to take steps to bring correction into our own lives.

 Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.