Sunday, April 19, 2015

Genesis 23 ... Viewing the works of God through scripture

Humans have their customs concerning burials after death.  But what does God show us about this subject?
1 And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old:these were the years of the life of Sarah. 2 And Sarah died in Kirjatharba; the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan:and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah, and to weep for her.
 

3 And Abraham stood up from before his dead, and spake unto the sons of Heth, saying, 4 I am a stranger and a sojourner with you:give me a possession of a buryingplace with you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.  


Comments by Joan Boney

Burying the dead out of your sight is the important thing ...


When my mother died, the only person to be consider was me.  It would do no good for me to go to a worldly funeral where people gather.  I don't need to hear words over my mother as the world needs.  I knew it would do my mother no good at all.  The question is what should I do for me.  (I can't do anything for the dead person for that person is asleep and won't know what I do.)  I have to think of me.

When my dad died 20 years before my mother, I had my mother to consider.  We had a standard type funeral.

But when my mother died, it was another matter.  I have no brothers or sisters.  I was the only person to be considered.

God had given me dream to show me she would die after her 2nd fall.  So I knew her life would end after the second time she fell.  After this fall, she was taken to hospital and operated on for broken hip.  She was 97 years old.  When I brought her home, she would fall and I had no one to help me lift her off the floor so I would call 911 and ask for someone from fire department to come help.  Once she fell twice in one day.  Fireman said I was going to have to make other arrangements.  I put her in assisted living where she was for a little less than one month before dying.  Someone from the assisted living called me at 1:00 a.m. and told me she died.  I told the person to call Steed Funeral Home and ask them to come pick up her body.  I did not go to the assisted living.  Concerning burial, I had paid the funeral home about 2 months before she died and arranged with them to simply bury my mother, no standard funeral.  I would not be there.  The man at funeral home said they could do that, but he wouldn't want me to feel bad about doing it that way six months later.  I never felt bad at all.  It would do my mother no good to do as the world does.  From the Bible, the only example I could see of burial is Abraham made arrangement to bury Sarah out of his sight.  I certainly didn't need to look at a dead body.  My faith is in resurrection.  So funeral home picked up my mother's body and buried her and called me after they had buried her and told me they had buried her.

My cousin said, "We can have a memorial for her."  I told my cousin if she needed a body to have memorial, I would save my mother's body for her  She said nothing about needing my mother's body.

About a year later, I was in a department store and the woman in charge of the assisted living home where my mother died was standing there and I spoke to her and she would not speak to me.  I said to her, "I'm Joan Boney."  She replied, "I know." and turned her back and walked away.  Later I realized they thought I was evil because I didn't do as other people when someone at their facility dies.

Gen. 23 ...

5 And the children of Heth answered Abraham, saying unto him, 6 Hear us, my lord:thou art a mighty prince among us:in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that thou mayest bury thy dead. 7 And Abraham stood up, and bowed himself to the people of the land, even to the children of Heth. 8 And he communed with them, saying, If it be your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight; hear me, and intreat for me to Ephron the son of Zohar, 9 That he may give me the cave of Machpelah, which he hath, which is in the end of his field; for as much money as it is worth he shall give it me for a possession of a buryingplace amongst you. 

10 And Ephron dwelt among the children of Heth:and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the audience of the children of Heth, even of all that went in at the gate of his city, saying, 11 Nay, my lord, hear me:the field give I thee, and the cave that is therein, I give it thee; in the presence of the sons of my people give I it thee:bury thy dead. 12 And Abraham bowed down himself before the people of the land. 13 And he spake unto Ephron in the audience of the people of the land, saying, But if thou wilt give it, I pray thee, hear me:I will give thee money for the field; take it of me, and I will bury my dead there. 

14 And Ephron answered Abraham, saying unto him, 15 My lord, hearken unto me:the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver; what is that betwixt me and thee? bury therefore thy dead. 

16 And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.
 

17 And the field of Ephron, which was in Machpelah, which was before Mamre, the field, and the cave which was therein, and all the trees that were in the field, that were in all the borders round about, were made sure 18 Unto Abraham for a possession in the presence of the children of Heth, before all that went in at the gate of his city. 19 And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah before Mamre:the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan. 20 And the field, and the cave that is therein, were made sure unto Abraham for a possession of a buryingplace by the sons of Heth.

And concerning the way we are to view death, the apostle Paul said ...

I Thess. 4 ...

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep (those who die), that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep (die) in Jesus will God bring with him.
 

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent (precede) them which are asleep. 

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air:and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Genesis 23 & I Thessalonians 4 were patterns for me and these were the ways I viewed death and I still view death this way.

I know my mother was born again.  That is the focal point for me.