Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Booklet # 4: Dreams

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Throughout the Bible, we have many examples of God leading HIS people and showing HIS people things to come through dreams.

God gave Joseph a dream to show him that the baby that Mary was carrying was of the Holy Ghost so Joseph would not "put Mary away".

Mt. 1 ... Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. 

20But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.  21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.  

God protected the baby Jesus by giving the wise men a dream showing them not to return to Herod after seeing the baby Jesus.

Mt. 2 ... Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 

3When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 4And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. 5And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, 6And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.  

7Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. 8And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
 

(But Herod was trying to deceive the wise men for his goal was to kill the baby Jesus.)

9When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. 10When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.  

12And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.


Dreams were given to Joseph to protect the baby Jesus and to show Joseph what to do.

Mt. 2:13 ... And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. 14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:15 And was there until the death of Herod:that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Mt. 2 ... But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, 20Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child’s life.  

Mt. 2 ... And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel. 22But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: 23And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets,  He shall be called a Nazarene. 

Job said this concerning dreams ... Job 33

For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. 15In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; 16Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,  17That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.  18He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword. 


Part 1:  Dreams as anchor for faith

Often humans will not understand what God is trying to get done, so sometimes God will give a dream to show man what to do.  Later that same dream may be used by God to help us to have faith that it was God who gave us the plan.

In 2001, I had a dream where I was building a house.  I was shown the area around the construction site.  But at that time I was not planning to build a house.  I lived in Clovis, NM (USA) where I was helping with my mother.  She died at end of January, 2002, and I made plans to move to Lubbock.  I met with realtor who showed me existing properties but I couldn't forget the dream where I was building house.  So I met with contractor and was shown building sites in Lubbock.

One lot looked exactly like the area I had been shown in a dream the previous year so I bought that lot and built house on that lot.  Later more desirable lots opened up for building in Lubbock but each time I thought of how I would like to live in those areas, I was reminded of that dream where I was shown the construction site where this Lubbock house was built.  This caused me to settle down and know that God had selected this place for me to live.

And we have the following scripture telling us that God puts us on the earth at the time set for us and God puts us in the exact place where we are living.

Acts 17:26 (NIV: Original translation) ... HE determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.

======== 

In the 1980's, I was traveling all over the United States to cities where I was on radio.  I would rent meeting rooms at hotels or at convention centers and meet with radio audience.   

Then in 1982, I had a dream showing me great danger for me if I went out as I had been doing.  And I heard these words in that dream.  "Don't go until you see Exodus 15."  

Immediately, I cancelled all meetings that had been planned for that year and the next year.  A woman said to me, "But you must go out ... If you go out and have meeting they will give money ... but if you don't go out you will lose money. "  

 I replied:  "God has shown me not to go out so I'm not going."  (Though offerings decreased there was no problem concerning money.  I had everything I needed as I stayed at home.  The expenses were less.)


Part 2God uses dream in NT Church

Concerning God using dreams in NT Church in Bible we have the example of Paul ...

Acts 16 ... Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him,  saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them. 

=======

At the end of March, 2012,  I had a dream.  A woman was singing.  I said, "This is a nice little voice.  It is not a great voice.  But it is a nice little voice."  Then in the dream, I saw this was a way for us to function as the church where we come together and everyone can speak as led by the Spirit of God as Paul instructed for the gathering of the church in I Cor. 14:26-40.  I awoke knowing to set up a "blog" on Internet where we could share and everyone who had heard from Spirit of God was free to share.  Within about 3 days, we were publishing these writings on Internet.

At the time we set this up, we were just doing what we believed was instructed by God.  It never occurred to any of us that these writings were going to go all over the world.  It is amazing to us and is still amazing to us.  We can write as many pages as we want to write, publish it instantly all over the world, and it doesn't cost us anything to do this!

=======

One way the Holy Spirit is used by God is to "show us things to come" ... Jn. 16:13 ... Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.   Often this is done through dreams.

In the 1980's I had 3 dreams about one event.

In one dream, I was in a tall, glass building.  Something began happening outside.  The whole building began to shake.  It was as if bombs had fallen on the building and it seemed the building was going to fall in on us.  In the dream I was told this was not the first bombing but the second.  And life would never be the same again for us.

Then there was another dream, where ambulances and fire trucks with sirens blaring were going down the street.  One vehicle after another passed by where I was standing.  Something had happened.

Then there was another dream where the skyline of NYC had been destroyed.  I was looking onto the tip of Manhattan and you could see little but large clouds of smoke.

These 3 dreams were about the destruction of the World Trade Center, Towers I and II, in New York City in 2001.  Each time I have seen this on TV since this time, I have recalled these 3 dreams and the TV pictures of the smoke were exactly the same as the views shown me in the dreams.  Also in the dream, it was not the first bombing of the World Trade Center, but the second.  There was a first bombing in the garage area of one of the towers in the 1990's.  This dream was the second bombing which destroyed the towers.   


Part 3 God uses dreams to reach us today

In the mid-1980's, I had a dream where the earth slipped on it's axis.  People were terrified.  The  politicians, scientists and religious leaders were meeting together to see what they could do.  A TV newscaster was trying to tell of the event but he was so frightened he could not get through the newscast. (Newscasters on TV who report tragic events are not like this.  They just babble on from one story to another.  They know they are not affected.  But in this dream, the newscaster knew he was affected along with everyone else in the world and he was terrified and just stopped speaking in the middle of the newscast.)

I think this will happen when God shakes the earth as we read in the following scripture.

Heb. 12 ... See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: 26Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.  28Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:  29For our God is a consuming fire.

Isaiah 2 ... And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day. 18And the idols he shall utterly abolish.  19And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.  20In that day a man shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made each one for himself to worship, to the moles and to the bats;   21To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the tops of the ragged rocks, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth. 22Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? 

Before the coming of Jesus, the earth will be moved out of place and there will be signs in the sky.

=========

In 1979, I had a terrifying dream and like Daniel I was upset several days over this dream and at first I didn't know what the dream meant.

In the dream, a meeting was going on.  A man was speaking to a group of people and one chair was vacant on an aisle.  I went into the room and sat down and began listening to the man who was speaking.

A second man rushed into the room and went to the front of the room and said:  "Stop ... wait ... can't you see ... it's too late ... it's already begun." 

After he said that, I looked out the window to see what was happening.

There was a tall, yellow civil defense type warning speaker and out of it was coming a poisonous gas which I knew would kill us.

The shocking thing was the gas was coming from the speaker which was supposed to warn us.  Instead it was poisoning us.

I looked at the man sitting next to me.  He was sitting up in his chair looking directly at the man who was speaking.  His eyes were open.  He had big smile on his face ... but he was already dead ... he was a corpse! 

I looked around the room and saw all the people who were listening to the man who was speaking were dead.  And as I sat there listening, I felt myself beginning to fall asleep.

It was many months before I understood what this dream meant.

I was at a Wednesday night service at the church I attended.  All of a sudden, it felt like I was surrounded by dead people.  Everything felt dead to me.  The people looked like they did in that poison gas dream.

I got up and went to Ladies Room and began talking to God.  I said to God, "I think you are showing me to leave this church group.  I'm going to get into my car and drive away but if you want me to return I will." 

God didn't want me to return.  HE began showing me some serious errors in doctrine being preached at that church.  And then I realized this was an example of the poison gas dream.  The speakers who should have been warning us were killing us with their doctrines.  And if I sat there among them, I would fall asleep and die.

Since that time, I've seen many church groups like this.  They fail to correct the people.  They teach a type of "I'm OK, you're OK" doctrine.  And as a result of no correction, the people in the congregation fall asleep.  And I have seen preachers even add things to the Bible.  Each time I witnessed this, I would go to the preacher (in private) and show him the Bible and he would not correct himself.  He just got angry with me and tried to accuse me.  I've never yet seen a preacher correct himself when he was speaking things not in the Bible.

A prophet once told me she would go into speak to groups at churches and she knew the message would cause them to be angry so she would speak for several minutes about other things and lead up to the message.  As she spoke leading up to the message she noticed the people in the congregation seemed to be asleep.  But when she began the warning message, they awoke and got mad at her.

They ran Jesus out of town because of the message he was speaking.  Lk. 4 ... concerning Jesus ... And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, 29And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.  30But he passing through the midst of them went his way, 

 They did same to Peter and Paul.  And when we speak those things given us by God, we will often find a type of persecution.


Part 4God comforts us with dreams

When I built the house in Lubbock, the contractor fired his bookkeeper during the construction.  As a result there were some expenses we did not expect.  When he gave me the bill, I was shocked.  I told him to just put the house on the market.  I couldn't pay for those extra expenses.

During this time God gave me a dream to show me what would happen:  In this dream, a meteor was outside my kitchen window.  It was just "standing" there.  Then it lifted and went over the house.  I was waiting for the explosion which would blow the house and me away.  But nothing happened. 

Also I was given a scripture as follows: 

Isaiah 65 ... And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them. 22They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.  23They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.  

While it looked as if I would lose the house, this did not happen.  God showed me to borrow the money for the extra expenses from one of our church members who offered the money without my asking for money.  I did borrow from her and within 6 months had fully repaid her.


Part 5God instructs us through dreams

After my mother died, a cousin tried to get me to move to the city where she and husband and 2 adult sons live.  She said the sons would be such help to us as we got older.

But God gave me a dream showing me that I could not go through my cousin's house.  I had to find another way to go.  So I did not move to city with my cousin but went in opposite direction, 350 miles away.


Part 6God gives us information through dreams

Pam Padgett, in our church group, told the following interesting story.

Pam said:  while still in high school, my family had gone to see my sister who was away at college.  When we got home, my mom's friend, whose husband owned the wrecker service in our town, called and told my mom that there had been a serious car crash.  That night I had a dream in which I was shown that Steve, one of my classmates, had been killed in the car crash and that another guy was also in the car.  The next morning before I got up, my mom's friend called and told her who had been killed.  My mom knew that Steve was in my class and came to tell me.  But before she could tell me, I told her that I knew that Steve had been killed in the crash.  She thought I had overheard her talking on the telephone with her friend, but I told her I hadn't.  God had given me this information in a dream.

Although I knew it was God giving me information, it was very scarey to me that God would communicate with me like this.  Having been raised in the Catholic church, which always seemed so "spooky" to me, I was afraid of God and didn't understand His love for us and that He has given us His Spirit to help us and comfort us.  After this experience, for years before going to sleep at night, I would pray and ask God to please not give me any dreams.  The idea of God communicating with me was terrifying to me. 

Even though I was trying not to have God communicate with me, HE showed great mercy toward me and gently and gradually taught me truth about Himself.  It was a great help when I went to college and met a friend who read the Bible and she gave me a Bible.  She shared many things with me that helped me, although I don't remember her saying anything specifically about the Holy Spirit.  I can remember trying to explain that it was like there was something "in" me that had something to do with God, not knowing that the Holy Spirit was in me.  It was so helpful when I finally saw what Paul said ... What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?  (1 Corinthians 6:19)

When thinking back over these things, I am so thankful for God's great mercy toward me.  I was reminded of the following ... Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him. (Psalm 103:13)

========

Here is another example given by Pam ... in John 16:13 we're told that the Holy Spirit will show us things to come.  Several years ago I had a dream in which one of my grandmothers died, but no one told me this had happened.  

Some months later, this is exactly what happened.  I started to become upset that no one told me she had died, but then remembered this dream.  Knowing that God had cared so much about me to show me this beforehand, was very comforting to me, and I wasn't upset that no person had told me. 


========

Part 7:  God warns us through dreams  

I know of a woman who had a dream concerning her grandson.  She dreamed he was in motorcycle accident.  She told her daughter and they promised the boy (who was college age) would no longer ride motorcycle.  A few months later, the boy was killed on motorcycle. 


Part 8:  God showing through dreams what other people are doing

I have had many times when God has given me dreams to show me what other persons are doing.

There is a young woman, who was like a daughter to me.  I loved her very much.  God gave me two shocking dreams to show me what she was doing and to warn me.  In one dream, she was very deformed, like a dwarf.  She was walking down hallway and could hardly walk she was so fat and she was very short.  I knew God was showing me to leave her alone.  I was given 3 or 4 dreams about her and in the dream she just kept getting worse. 

I had several dreams about another woman, who was in our church group for more than 30 years.  In four of these six dreams, I was shown she was getting worse.  Several months passed and I was shown her in a dream where I felt it was telling me in the end she was going to be okay.  Then I had another dream which seemed to show she was back with us helping me. 
   
Part 9Working of the Holy Spirit

Jn. 14:26 ... But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jn. 16:13 ... Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 

4 things done for us by the Holy Spirit Who dwells in us:

-  HE teaches us all things
-  HE reminds us of everything Jesus has said
-  HE guides us into all truth
-  HE shows us things to come

Sometimes the Holy Spirit does these things through dreams.