Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Spared from worry and futile works by going in way shown by God

Pam Padgettteacher

The community where I live was built around a golf course.  My yard backs up to the golf course property and I have enjoyed looking out on the open land.  But about 1-1/2 years ago the golf course was closed and the owner announced he was trying to sell it. 

Some of my neighbors expressed great concern that a developer would purchase the golf course property and build several hundred houses on it.  About a year ago as I heard what some of these neighbors said and of meetings that were starting to be held to try to fight this, I started getting concerned and stirred up as well. 

But then I turned to God, laying out my concerns and asking what HE wanted me to do. 


After turning to God one of the things I was reminded of is what we're told in the following:

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

As a result, rather than getting involved in community meetings to try to fight the selling of the golf course to a developer, I tried to just focus on doing what God wants me to do each day, dealing with what is before me that day, and trusting God to work out the future as HE wills (the best way for me). 

A few days ago the homeowner's association sent an email to let residents know that sale of the golf course property to a developer had been completed.  The email said that the developer plans to build only 41 single residence houses on the property and leave the rest of the land as open space.   I was very surprised to read this information.  It never occurred to me that a developer would build so few houses and leave open space land, a far better outcome than I thought possible. 

While considering this, I recalled how God led me to not fret and worry for the past year about what would become of the golf course property.   No doubt I have been spared much worry and futile works (meetings and activities that seem wise to man), and evil by turning to God and going in HIS way.