Saturday, January 27, 2018

BOOK: Following God By His Spirit


E-book:  $.99
Paperback:  $4.99
(USA Prices)

Order from:  Amazon.com


*****


4

The Work of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost


When the Holy Spirit fell on the believers at Pentecost, and when they began to speak in other tongues, these tongues were other languages.

The Holy Spirit spoke the gospel through these other tongues so that people of other nations who witnessed this would be able to hear what the apostles were saying in their own language that they might understand what had happened.

Acts 2:2-8 ... And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.  And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?  And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

And Peter explained what was happening for some thought those speaking in tongues were drunk.

Acts 2:14-24 ... Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of MY Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on MY servants and on MY handmaidens I will pour out in those days of MY Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by HIM in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:  HIM, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:  WHOM God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that HE should be holden of it.

And Peter continued speaking many words telling of Jesus the promised savior ... The power of God, the Holy Spirit, had fallen on Peter and others and by this power of God, Peter was speaking to the people that day and telling them the things of God. Remember Jesus had said to them to remain in Jerusalem until they received "power" and this was the power ... the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit speaking through Peter.

We can't do these things of ourselves nor of our own reasoning. But when the Holy Spirit comes upon us we receive power of God to speak the things of God.

Acts 2:37-41 ... Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls ... And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.


*****

One working of the Holy Spirit is to convince men of their sins. Jesus said this to HIS disciples before the crucifixion:

Jn. 16:7-8 ...Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send HIM unto you. And when HE is come, HE will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

That is what happened in Pentecost example.

When the Holy Spirit is doing the work there is power to change men. Without change we know man did the work himself and it was not of the Spirit of God.

Example of the Holy Spirit working:

I was baptized in water when I was 15 years old. But I was not born of the Spirit of God until God spoke to me when I was 37 years old. God spoke to me in the form of a thought.

God said, "Joan... You know all these mistakes you've been making all these years? ... Those weren't mistakes ... Those were sin."

? SIN ? ... I was shocked!   (My life changed instantly at this point)

The Spirit of God entered my life and that made all the difference. I didn't speak in tongues. I didn't run around the room with hands raised. I simply heard from God by His spirit and heard truth about myself and was changed.

And I was immediately excited.

I had been staying at the home of my best friend and her husband while I was recovering from an operation. As I left the house that day and passed Donna, I remarked, "Oh, by the way ... I don't think I was a Christian until now." I walked on out the door.

Donna began shouting: "Wait ... Joanie ... come back ... what did you say?"

I told her what had happened to me and how God spoke to me and I believed that now I was a Christian although I thought before this I was a Christian but I didn't live like a Christian before this happened to me. Now I was different inside!

This is an example of real change ... Change by the Spirit of God speaking by the will of God ... That is the power!


*****