Wednesday, September 23, 2020

* Power over our own flesh.


Romans 8

11 But if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, HE that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken (make alive) your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you.


(By HIS Spirit, the Holy Spirit, God will bring to our minds various things of God to cause life in us.  HE will remind us of scripture.  We should then focus on that scripture.  Or HE might remind us of a dream.  So we think on that dream.  Or God could just give us a concept to explain truth to us in the situation.  We should think on that truth.)

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.


(By the truth called to our mind by the Holy Spirit, we put to death the deeds our own flesh had planned to do and we choose to go in the way that is shown by His Spirit.)


*****


Comments by Joan Boney:

The Holy Spirit often speaks to us in a very gentle voice.  

We might not even recognize HE has spoken to us at first.  

But often I will remember later that I "heard something".  

Then I return to that which I heard and focus on that and keep that before me for a season, for then I know I heard from God on the issue by HIS Spirit.

By HIS Spirit, God shows us what to do and keeps us from evil when we attend to HIS Word and obey the instructions HE gives us.

It is good to review some of the times we have heard from God by HIS Spirit for it helps our faith in God and also helps us to be alert to future times when the Spirit speaks something to us.



***

I like to keep written records showing scriptures and dreams which I have been given by God.  I keep these before me each morning and again before I go to bed. I make screen prints of scriptures and dreams and keep them on my Kindle tablet in the Photo section. 

I don't try to figure anything out.  I know God will show me what HE wants me to see.  I do try to pay attention if I feel God is calling something to my mind when I read those scriptures.

In time, maybe days or weeks or months, I find these scriptures enable me to have to power to do that scripture by the Holy Spirit and power of God.

It is the same as God told Joshua in the following:


Joshua 1

8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD (The Word) thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.


***

I collect "meditation" verses and look at them first thing each morning and again before I go to sleep each night.

Sometimes these verses are called to my mind throughout the day by the Holy Spirit to give me what I need at that moment.

Other times I will read something in the blog that stands out to me.  I make a screen print of that portion of the writing and add it to the photos in my Kindle tablet.

Sometimes a verse in Bible will stand out as I read that chapter.  I make screen print and add that to my meditation collection to reinforce my way in godliness.


II Timothy 3

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in 
righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.



***

Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in HIS law doth he meditate day and night.

3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.



*****