Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Wise as serpents and harmless as doves


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

When a real Christian deals with people of this world in a secular plan, there is special instruction which can save much grief.

When Jesus sent HIS disciples out, HE told them:

Matthew 10:16   Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.


*****



Pam Padgett is getting ready to make some changes in her house so she can have a bedroom/full bath downstairs.  She had full approval of God for the project and the two contractors she is considering are to bring her their construction prices next month, and she will choose one of the two for the work.

I have dealt many times with contractors ... building 3 new houses ... and doing various projects inside the house.

Problems often occur concerning finishing the project within the projected time or in a reasonable amount of time.

This week, I was praying for God to help Pam with this matter.  

After praying, a idea came to me.  

If she divided the project into two sections and told the contractor she would work with him on one section and pay for that work when it is finished, and if it goes well and is finished in a timely way, then she would use him to do section two of the project.  

This would give Pam some control over the amount of time it took to actually do the project.

A few years ago, Pam had her master upstairs bathroom remodeled.  The contractor told her it would take 6 weeks to do the project.  It took 6 1/2 months instead.  

For about two weeks during the project no one showed up at all at her house to work.

This is what I have also experienced with these projects.

The project begins wearing on us physically and emotionally, and when this happens, and we find we become very burdened.  It is a struggle spiritually to contain and control our feelings during such times.

To avoid this, Pam can divide the project into 2 or 3 parts and when one part is finished, go to the next part with the contractor, if it suits her.  Or she can change contractors.  Or even cancel that part of the project.

This gives Pam much control.

As we spoke, both of us were reminded of the same scripture.

Matthew 10:16   Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.


*****



In 2018, I did a small project, purchasing a larger screen television.  

I made a mistake.

I way dealing with a business which has taken care of my needs concerning my sound equipment.  I purchased the TV from them and paid them in full for the cost of the TV when I placed the order.  I wanted them to have the money for their business.  

But it took two months before I got the TV.  

I believe I put a temptation in their path that would not have been there had I just done normal business with them and paid a deposit on the TV when I ordered it.  

This is the way the world orders an item.  

When you pay in full, as I did, the dealer can be "tempted" to delay the project since he already has full payment and gains nothing by fulfilling the order.

My thinking was, I knew they would eventually deliver the TV to my house.  I trusted them.  And the money was just sitting there in my bank account and did no benefit to me whereas they might benefit by having the full amount.

I was thinking as a Christian.  But I was dealing with a secular business!

At the end of approximately 2 months, and still not having TV, I began to feel troubled and was daily having to turn to God for help, not wanting to "explode" and tell off the dealer.

When things began to build, I told God I needed to settle this matter and end this project.

Then I had the idea to call the business and ask about the TV.  

When I did this, they said the TV was there at the shop, they just needed to get me scheduled for delivery and installation.  

I replied, "Let's do that now."  

So they put me on the schedule and gave me a day and time for delivery, and they made the appointed delivery and the project was completed.

When dealing with a secular business, we have to be "wise as serpents"

Though we are willing to allow them to do "the right thing", they may do the worldly thing instead, and it can result in a temptation for the business dealer and unnecessary pressure for us.


*****



Concerning Pam's project,  I knew something must be wrong since I kept having concerns about the project.  

I prayed and God called to my attention the need to divide the project into parts and finish one part before beginning another part.  Pam seemed relieved to have this plan.  She said she could even see how she could divide the project into 3 parts.

This should give Pam some control over the construction and make it easier for her to deal with the project!

*****