Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Growing old gracefully through God

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Many people cling to the past and try to make things the way they were in the past.  Women often try to cling to dead husbands.  Men often cling to former professions and glories.

The apostle Paul said:  13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended:but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded:  Phil. 3


The life on this earth is very temporary.  The various seasons of our life are very temporary.  We are young.  Then we are old.   Both young and old have lives for us to live in Christ. 

We encounter problems and we overcome by turning to God and by doing what HE shows us or by enduring through grace if HE shows us that.  Either way we grow in God and become conformed to the image of God through those problems as we overcome through God.

I like being old.  I don't always have to fix things as I once did.  I know most things don't matter.

What does matter is living each day through Christ, seeking what HE would give me that day through prayer, Bible reading, and paying attention to that brought to my mind by the Holy Spirit.

As I write this, summer has arrived in Texas.  It is forecast to be 102 tomorrow.  I have air conditioning for which I thank God.  It is very comfortable for me inside my house and for that I thank God.  I have food and clothing.  God has given me all that I need.  And I have the Spirit of God inside me to live in me and show me God's way on this earth.  And I thank God for that.

A few days ago, I went into my garage and water dripped onto my head.  I looked up and saw I was standing under drain pipe to air conditioning system which is upstairs over the garage.  It was about 6 pm, too late to call plumber.  I put large plastic pan on floor to catch the water.

There was a time this would have greatly troubled me and I would have troubled others.

This time, I knew this really didn't matter.  I emptied the pan before going to bed and called the plumber the next morning and he came that afternoon and fixed the problem.

As you grow older you know you are preparing to leave this present earth.  Hopefully you purpose to live in peace until you are removed and you keep yourself without spot daily as Peter told us to do.  That is what really matters.  Fixing these physical houses is basically futile for Peter says they will be destroyed.  And these physical bodies are temporary.  We do not take these physical bodies we have now into heaven says Paul in I Cor. 15.  Therefore do we really want to fret ourselves over things that are going to be destroyed anyway?  Focus on that which is important.  Peter tells us what is important.

II Peter 3 ... 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.  

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
 

14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of HIM in peace, without spot, and blameless.

And while I remain on this earth, I keep focusing on the assignment God gave me which is exhorting the church daily in ways of God.

We need to be faithful to God to the end in our assignments.

As long as you have a mate and children, those are your assignments.

Some are appointed by God to serve in the church, caring for the church.  We hold fast daily to that assignment as we are on the earth.

If you think you have no assignment from God, then focus on II Peter 3:14 as your assignment.  

Build yourself up daily in the faith by the Holy Scriptures, setting a firm foundation by faith in God and HIS Word.