Friday, March 1, 2013

What foundation have we built on?

Pam Padgett ... teacher

Luke 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

As I read this yesterday, I thought of some of the ways we are tried when we have turned to God and gone in the way we were led by the Holy Spirit.  One of the things that often "beats" against what we have said and done is the devil bringing thoughts that accuse us of having done wrong, sometimes even accusing us of having failed to turn to God.   Several times when this has happened to me and, in the midst of the accusing thoughts, I have even forgotten that I had prayed about the matter and how God led me in what I did. 

But then the Holy Spirit reminds us of what really happened, shining a bright light on the false accusations and showing that the thoughts are from the devil.  The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth, and establishes us in truth, that we not be pulled off from the way God has led us.  


This is one way the Holy Spirit comforts us, strengthening and helping us, as Jesus told us ...

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.