Sunday, April 12, 2020

* God shows Elijah what to do. God also shows us what to do.


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Elijah, the prophet of God, prophesied a drought upon the land.  And Ahab, the evil king of Israel, intended harm against Elijah but God prevented that by instructing Elijah to go to the brook Cherith and hide himself, and drink of that brook and eat that which God had the ravens bring to Elijah day by day.

I Kings 17:5-15   So he (Elijah) went and did according unto the word of the Lord: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.

And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook.

When there was a need for change, God brought change.

And it came to pass after a while, that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land.
  And the word of the Lord came unto him (to Elijah), saying,  Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.

So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.

And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand.

And she said, As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.


And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.  For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth.

(During the years when the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness, God provided manna for them.  God provided water also.  After 40 years, when they reached the promised land, food was available from the land, so the manna stopped.  But as long as the manna was needed it was provided by God.) 

And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.

***

Elijah did what God told him to do and the widow woman did what God, through the prophet Elijah, told her to do.

God does not fail HIS people nor forsake HIS people.

Often even before there is a need, God will lead us to a position where there is no need, or give us the answer we need.

Isaiah 65:24   And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

***

In January 2020, the house I moved from in Texas, which is owned by our ministry group, sold.  But before we could close on the house, we had to do some plumbing repair.  It was an extensive replacement from original construction, and required a good amount of money, $26,000, to replace defective materials used in construction.

My contractor asked if the plumbing could be done even before we received the money from the sale of the property.

God had shown me to go ahead and spend my own money which I had inherited from my dad which was a little more than the cost of the price of the plumbing.  I had been keeping that money in case I had to move to an assisted living facility.  For if it got to point I could not walk, I would have to move to such.

I knew God was showing me to go ahead and pay for the plumbing and do the job now.

I asked God to give me a scripture on this and I heard the following immediately.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to HIS purpose.

I had full assurance, I believe from God, that even if this sale of house contract should collapse, there would be another buyer.  

And also I was convinced my physical condition, from my accident in December, 2018, was improving, not deteriorating.  (I am currently 82-years-old.)

Many times I have had the word I needed from the Holy Spirit, even before the event happened, so I knew exactly what to do before the situation occurred. 

In the year, 2000, I was living in Clovis, New Mexico, USA, where my mother lived.

During that time God gave me a dream:  I was building a new house.  I saw the exact lot where the house was being built.

But I was not planning to build a house.

About a year later, my mother died and I made plans to move to Lubbock, Texas.  As I viewed lots in Lubbock, I saw that exact lot that I had seen in my previous dream where I was building a house.  I bought that lot and built a house at that location.

Another thing I was shown just before my mother died.  In a dream, God showed me I had to make an exit from my house, But I could not go out through my cousin's house.  

After my mother died, my cousin wanted me to move to the city where she lived.  She had husband and 2 adult aged children nearby.  Because of that dream, I knew not to go where my cousin lived.  Instead, I went to Lubbock, Texas, 350 miles in the opposite direction from my cousin.

Sometimes God will give me a dream concerning that which is to happen.  Other times God will put a change into my heart so when the change comes, I am already prepared for the change.

This happened to me in early 2018.

It was in my heart to desire a smaller place where I could live in one room and have all my stuff nearby.  (At that time, I had a relatively large house.)

And it was in my heart to no longer want to live alone as I had been doing!

On December 6, 2018, I fell at the house where I lived in Lubbock, Texas.  As the ambulance worker rolled me out of the house, past the front door, I heard, "You'll never see this house again."

That was certainly fine with me for I already had in my heart the desire to live in a much smaller house, a room in fact, and to live with another person, though I didn't know what person or where this would be.

A few weeks after surgery, while I was still in hospital, it became clear to me that I would move into the home of Pam Padgett from our little church group.  And I would move from Texas to Colorado.

I spent 2 1/2 months in rehabilitation hospitals in Texas.  When I was released I went directly to Colorado, never seeing again that house where I had lived in Texas, just like I was told by the Holy Spirit as they were transporting me to the hospital on December 6, 2018.

So I understand the concept where God says:

And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.   (Isaiah 65:24)
 
Also one of the things the Holy Spirit does is to show us things to come.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
***


Concerning God moving Elijah from the brook that was drying up:

God selects the places we will live and the exact times we will live there.  Our life is not accidental!  It is planned by God.

Acts 17:26    and (God) hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

***


Psalm 23:1   The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

The good shepherd watches over his sheep.  When the food or water begins to diminish, that shepherd moves the sheep to another pasture.

When wolves are about to attack the sheep, the good shepherd does something to fight off those wolves.

He takes care of every need for the sheep.

Thus the apostle Paul tells us:  But my God shall supply all your need ...  (Philippians 4:19)



***


I moved to Dallas, Texas, in 1960It was very exciting for me.

But by 1985, it had "dried up".  I had seen the exciting things and had done them, and by then I mostly just went out to buy my groceries and then returned to my apartment.

My dad died during these years, and I felt it might be good for me to move to the city where my mother lived, in Clovis, New Mexico (USA), so I made arrangements to do that.

Then in 2002, my mother died and I moved to Lubbock, Texas.

In 2018, I had an accident at that house in Texas, and I knew I could no longer live alone, so I made arrangement to move to Colorado Springs, Colorado, where one of our church people took me in to live at her house, and also she let my cat move in with her and her 2 dogs and 2 cats!  It was wonderful!

Places dry up for us along the way.  Often God moves us to a new pasture.

Each time I've moved it has been with joy, peace, and excitement!

And each of the moves have been better than the previous situation.

Isaiah 55:12-13   For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the Lord for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.


***


I Kings 17:17-24   And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him.

And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son?

And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed.

And he cried unto the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, hast THOU also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?

And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.

And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth.

And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in thy mouth is truth.




***


I Kings 18:1   And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the Lord came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.

When we see a change, then we go.

When there is no clear direction, we remain where we are and pray.

God led the children of Israel out of Egypt and through the wilderness.

Numbers 9:15-18    And on the day that the tabernacle was reared up the cloud covered the tabernacle, namely, the tent of the testimony: and at even there was upon the tabernacle as it were the appearance of fire, until the morning.

So it was alway: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by night.

And when the cloud was taken up from the tabernacle, then after that the children of Israel journeyed: and in the place where the cloud abode, there the children of Israel pitched their tents.


At the commandment of the Lord the children of Israel journeyed, and at the commandment of the Lord they pitched: as long as the cloud abode upon the tabernacle they rested in their tents.

I've seen this symbolically:  If my direction is "cloudy" and I don't see clearly what to do, do nothing.  Just remain where you are and ask God to show you what you are to do.  Then when the Word comes, act on that word, fulfilling that Word to the full extent!  

Then wait again until further direction from God comes.  

And wait as long as needed, whether a day, or a month, or a year or even more, do nothing until that Word comes to move you then take action according to that Word.  

This world tries to make something happen.  We, who are of God, wait on God to show us and then we act.

Numbers 9:19-23
  And when the cloud tarried long upon the tabernacle many days, then the children of Israel kept the charge of the Lord, and journeyed not.

And so it was, when the cloud was a few days upon the tabernacle; according to the commandment of the Lord they abode in their tents, and according to the commandment of the Lord they journeyed.

And so it was, when the cloud abode from even unto the morning, and that the cloud was taken up in the morning, then they journeyed: whether it was by day or by night that the cloud was taken up, they journeyed.

Or whether it were two days, or a month, or a year, that the cloud tarried upon the tabernacle, remaining thereon, the children of Israel abode in their tents, and journeyed not: but when it was taken up, they journeyed.


At the commandment of the Lord they rested in the tents, and at the commandment of the Lord they journeyed:

And for us, at the commandment of the Lord, we rest where we are or we journey.

That "commandment" for me always came by God bringing a word to my mind by the Holy Spirit showing me what to do. (or a dream)

In the New Testament church today, I believe this is the way God leads each of HIS children, by HIS word.

John 14:26    But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Spirit does the following for us:

* He teaches us all things  (John 14:26)
* He reminds us of all Jesus has said  (John 14:26)
* He guides us into all truth (John 16:13)
* He shows us things to come  (John 16:13)

Usually the Holy Spirit does these things by bringing a gentle thought or concept to our minds.

Sometimes God will give us a dream to show us what to do or what not to do.

***

The devil often tries to drive us by fear.

Our flesh often tries to drive us by desire and excitement.

God leads us by HIS Spirit and establishes us in HIS truth as we wait and pray.

***

Sometimes we can hear a word and know instantly that word is from God.

It was that way for me" on December 6, 2018, as ambulance workers rolled me past the front door of my house after I had an accident and fell at my house in Texas.  As we passed that front door, I heard, "You'll never see this house again."

I knew that was a word from God to me.  I had no doubt.  I took action, even from hospital, to sell that house and move, though I didn't know at first where I would be going.

A woman from our church group said to me, "I don't see how you can do that."

I replied:  "I can do it because I know it was instruction to me from God and I will never see that house again."

Shortly after the surgery, I realized when I recovered I would be moving to Colorado from the rehabilitation hospital in Texas.  I was in the hospitals in Texas for 2 1/2 months.  During that time all needed arrangements for my move to Colorado were instigated.


***


In another situation, I waited for about 4 years for the answer from God showing me what action I could take concerning a problem.  And when that answer came, it was like a light being turned on in my mind.  And I knew exactly what to do and it was so simple!

At my house, which I built in Clovis, New Mexico (USA), where my mother and I lived, the contractor couldn't get the house to fit on the lot, so without telling me, he reduced the size of the kitchen and the size of the adjacent garage.  Both of these things became problems for me.

The kitchen was so small that it was difficult for my mother and I to work in that area at the same time.

I prayed and waited ... for approximately 4 years.

Then one day, I stepped into the kitchen and saw what to do ... I had a walk-in pantry in the kitchen.  I could move the pantry to the adjacent garage and move the refrigerator to the area where the pantry had been.  This opened up the area and allowed me to add about 5 more feet counter top in the kitchen.

The garage which was supposed to hold 2 cars would only hold 1 car, though the garage door was a two car garage door opening.

I was concerned no one would buy the house with a single car garage. (And that did prohibit the first man who was interested when I put the house up for sale.)  But a woman, who was a single person, was not troubled by this and she bought that house as it was.  Though I had tried many times to add another garage on the east side of the house, God never allowed me to do that.  Even when I had the money for the project and the contractor available to do the project, God stopped me.  It wasn't going to be needed, through I didn't know that!

***

Of course our own flesh can try to lead us by our fleshly desires ... and the devil can bring thoughts to try to get us to do something.  And God brings a word to us by HIS Spirit.

How do we know that wisdom which is from God?

James 3:14-17    if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.  This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.  For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

I've found the ways of God are simple, easy to be dealt with, financially reasonable, truthful, without pretense or lying to try to get something done.

If the idea is complex and costly, I know I do not have the wisdom that is from God on the matter at hand.  I back off.  And pray again, asking God for wisdom in the matter.

And I have the following promise to build my faith to pray:

James 1:5    If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

***


Following God by HIS Spirit is really pretty simple when we keep these things in mind and also when we keep our hearts free from strife and trouble through prayer and correction.

When I've had trouble with someone, often I pray over my own heart.

Psalm 51:10   Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Jeremiah 17:9   The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

But God can straight out my heart when needed! and HE certainly knows the truth about my heart.

Proverbs 16:5  There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

But I can trust God.

So I pray for God to show me the right way in HIS sight.

And I know God can communicate with me in a way that I can understand!

So pray, and wait, and don't try to make something happen.

Just rest in God after prayer.

Sometimes I ask God to make the situation known to me quickly because the matter is just too painful for me to wait.

*****