Friday, May 12, 2017

BOOK: Psalms


Amazon.com
e-Book & paperback



* Psalm 73


Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.
 

But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.


For I was envious at the foolish,
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

 

For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm. They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men. Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain;
violence covereth them as a garment. Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
 

They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
 

They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth. Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.


And they say,  How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the Most High?

*****

Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
 

Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of THY children.


*****

When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;

Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
 

Surely THOU didst set them in slippery places: THOU castedst them down into destruction. How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.

As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when THOU awakest, THOU shalt despise their image.

Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.
 

So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before THEE.
 

Nevertheless I am continually with THEE: THOU hast holden me by my right hand.

THOU shalt guide me with THY counsel,
and afterward receive me to glory.
 


Whom have I in heaven but THEE?

and there is none upon earth that I desire
beside THEE.


*****

My flesh and my heart faileth:
but God is the strength of my heart,

and my portion for ever. 

For, lo, they that are far from THEE shall perish: THOU hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from THEE.
 

But it is good for me to draw near to God:
I have put my trust in the Lord God,
that I may declare all THY works.