Sunday, January 15, 2017

Exhortations For The Church: Vol. 2


Amazon.com
Paperback & e-Book



Vol. 2 ... #6
The Holy Spirit brings to our mind everything Jesus has said to us



John 14:26 ... Jesus said ... But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 

I was born again August 5, 1975.  My best friend had been a Christian for many years.  She told me I needed to memorize scripture.  She enrolled me in Bible Memory Association.  I had to memorize one verse of scripture per week.  Then I had to quote that scripture to Donna.  I think then she turned 
the results of this effort to some business office and I suppose they would have sent me a certificate upon completion of the number of weeks in the program.

This was one of the most difficult things I have ever tried to do.

Later, when the Holy Spirit reminded me of scripture, I found I could usually quote it, or most of it without effort.

Donna and I knew nothing about the Holy Spirit at the time she enrolled me in the scripture memory program.  We had no idea the Holy Spirit would bring scripture to our minds.

Most people who are in church groups know little (or nothing) about the Holy Spirit.  Many think the Holy Spirit has to do with speaking in tongues and many avoid the mention of the Holy Spirit because this is what they think.

In 2 key scriptures, Jesus explains the work of the Holy Spirit.

Jn. 14:26 & Jn. 16:13

- The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth (Jn. 14:26)
- The Holy Spirit reminds us of everything Jesus has said (Jn. 14:26)
- The Holy Spirit teaches us all things (Jn. 16:13)
- The Holy Spirit shows us things to come (Jn. 16:13)

God approves us to the church when we are given the Holy Spirit.  And we recognize others in the church by the Holy Spirit who dwells in them.

There are many people who join the church by going forward and being baptized.  Sometimes they do this by their own will or to please a family member.  Often they do not have the Holy Spirit as a result though they think they are now a Christian. 

This happened to me.  I went forward at church and was baptized when I was 15-years-old because I did not want to go to hell and I thought, at that time, that would cause me to be a Christian and not go to hell.  (Nothing changed in my life.)

At 37-years of age, God spoke to me by His Spirit as I was reading a book about sin.  God said,  


"Joan, you know those mistakes you've been making all these years?  Those weren't mistakes.  Those were sins."

I was shocked ... ? SINS ... I thought those were mistakes.


With that, I was born again.  Now I am a Christian, having the Spirit of God in me.


Jn. 3:3 ... Jesus says ... Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.


Being born again has to do with hearing truth of God and God opening our ears to HIS truth.  And then we are born again.

Paul explains this is not of our own will, nor of the will of man, but is by the will of God.  Romans 9

God had mercy on me in 1975, speaking truth to me so I could be saved.

We speak truth of God to other people.  As a result some believe and are saved, God opening their understanding.

But to some God hardens their hearts as God did with Pharaoh when God hardened Pharaoh's heart and they turn away from the truth we speak.

Ex. 6 ... 1 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. 2 Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land. 3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt. 4 But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments. 

Romans 9 ...  6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: 7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children:but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
 

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For HE saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath HE mercy on whom HE will have mercy, and whom HE will HE hardeneth.  

I never know ahead of time if the person will accept the truth I speak or if that person will reject what I say and turn away.  I just speak truth as I am reminded of truth and God does the work as HE wills.  I have seen several people receive the truth and I have seen individuals reject truth and flee from me.

Acts 2:47 ...  And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.