Sunday, January 15, 2017

God provides for us the finest of wheat

Pam Padgett ... member of the body of Christ

My computer is at a small desk in my bedroom.  The chair I have used is one I have had for many years.  Last year when Joan and I were working on the kindle guide book I started having some pain.  One day while walking toward my chair, I suddenly "knew" (the Holy Spirit helping me) to put a pillow in the chair.  I did this, and there was no more pain.

But a couple days ago I noticed the pillow had become bunched up.  I considered possibly getting a seat cushion and looked on amazon.  Several cushions looked like they might work well.  But after praying about which to try, my attention was drawn to the arms of my current chair.  The fabric was still ok, but the padding in the arms had completely matted down to the point that I could feel the hardware holding the arms in place. 

Rather than just getting a cushion for the existing chair, I decided to try to replace the chair.  

I went to a nearby office supply store, Staples, to see if they might have a small office-type chair similar to the one I'm replacing.  I had in mind this would probably cost about $100, maybe $150 at most. 

I sat in a few chairs like what I had in mind but none of them were comfortable to me.  Then I noticed a small leather chair.  When I sat down, it felt so comfortable, like it was made for my body.   Its a La-Z-Boy chair and far nicer than what I thought I needed.   And it was more expensive than what I had in mind, $250, but I have plenty of money to pay this. 

As I considered this chair, talking with God about it, I was reminded that God gives us the finest of wheat. 

One of the places we are told about this is in Psalm 81. 

Psalm 81:10  I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt:
open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11  But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.

12  So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.

13  Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!
14  I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.
15  The haters of the Lord should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever.
16  He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee.

When I read verse 12, I thought of how we can lust after money, loving money.  And it can seem wise to us to get only what we think we need, nothing more.

But our lusts and our own wisdom can cause us to miss the abundance of what God would provide for us.  If we will go in the way God leads us, we often find that HE provides much better than we would for ourselves. 

I took measurements of the chair to take home to make sure it would work at my desk, and was delighted to find that the size would work well.  The following day I went back to the store and purchased the chair.  When I got it home and assembled I found it was even nicer than I realized in the store.  Far nicer than anything I had imagined having at my little desk, or even realized would be available.  And it fits very nicely in the area. 

While working through this I've also been reminded of what we're told in Ephesains 3:20  Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21  Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

As I read according to the power that worketh in us, it reminded me of the Holy Spirit in us bringing us the word we need in what we're dealing with and teaching us and guiding us in the ways of God.  As we go in that way we are amazed at what God does. 

(I'm sitting in the new chair as I write this and am enjoying it very much.)