Friday, January 13, 2017

Exhortations For The Church: Vol. 2


Vol. 2 ... #4
Deliverance:  God makes a way to deliver HIS people



Joseph's brothers envied Joseph and despised Joseph because of the dreams God had given Joseph showing Joseph would rule over his brothers.
 
The opportunity arose for Joseph's brother to kill Joseph. 
 
But instead of killing him as they planned to do, they had an opportunity to sell Joseph into slavery so they did that. The brothers told their father a wild animal had killed Joseph. The father, Jacob, greatly loved Joseph and mourned greatly. 
 
Wherever Joseph was ... in whatever circumstance Joseph was in ... God made Joseph to prosper. 
 
Joseph entered Egypt as a slave, having nothing but the clothes on his back, having been sold into slavery by his brothers. 
 
Genesis 39 ... 1 And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmeelites, which had brought him down thither. 2 And the Lord was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. 3 And his master saw that the Lord was with him, and that the Lord made all that he did to prosper in his hand. 4 And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand. 5 And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the Lord blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of the Lord was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field. 6 And he left all that he had in Joseph's hand; and he knew not ought he had, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured. 

Potiphar's wife set her eyes upon Joseph and begged Joseph to have sex with her. 
 
But Joseph was "a goodly person", a person of God. So Joseph said to her: my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; 9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? Gen. 39 

Potiphar's wife falsely accused Joseph and was the cause of Potiphar putting Joseph into the prison. 
 
Genesis 39 ... 20 And Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison. 
 
21 But the Lord was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. 22 And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it. 
 
God caused Joseph to prosper and to rise to a position of authority when he was in slavery ... and even when he was put into prison. 
 
Joseph was in prison two full years. Then God gave Pharaoh a dream and gave Joseph the interpretation of the dream and as a result Pharaoh saw the wisdom by which Joseph spake so Pharaoh made Joseph second in the kingdom to himself and put Joseph in charge in Egypt. 
 
Again God moved Joseph to a position of power. And everywhere Joseph was God blessed the people because of him. We, too, are blessings to all who choose to communicate with us for God causes them to be blessed when they receive us. 
 
At the end of Joseph's life, he spoke of the deliverance God would bring to the people and their removal from Egypt. 
 
Gen. 50 ... 24 And Joseph said unto his brethren, I die: and God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land unto the land which he sware to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. 25 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence. 26 So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt. 
 
God told Abraham of this bondage to come and even told Abraham the length of the bondage. 
 
Genesis 15 ... 13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 
 
Exodus 1 ... 6 And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation. 
 
7 And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them. 8 Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph. 9 And he said unto his people, Behold, the people of the children of Israel are more and mightier than we: 10 Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land. 
 
11 Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and Raamses. 
 
12 But the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and grew. And they (the Egyptians) were grieved because of the children of Israel. 13 And the Egyptians made the children of Israel to serve with rigour: 14 And they (the Egyptians) made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour. 
 
Everything was set up for deliverance and God would deliver them from this bondage for that was the will of God and the pronouncement from God to both Abraham and Joseph. 
 
But how can this be done? How is this possible? humans would ask. Put into that position we would likely question our deliverance. It seemed an impossible thing. But God is going to work events to make it possible for HIS people to be delivered. 
 
God uses the most improbable means sometimes to deliver us. I think of Elijah and the way God sent Elijah to a widow woman to be sustained in the midst of drought when Ahab was trying to kill Elijah. 
 
I Kings 17 ... 8 And the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, 9 Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee. 10 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink. 11 And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand. 12 And she said, As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die. 
 
13 And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. 14 For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth. 15 And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days. 16 And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord, which he spake by Elijah. 
 
In Egypt, everything becomes very bad for the children of Israel who are slaves. 
 
Pharaoh orders all male children up to 2 years of age killed. 
 
The grief would have been terrible. 
 
Moses is saved by his mother casting him as a baby on a raft in the river. Then God causes Pharaoh's daughter to come to the water at that exact time. She rescues the baby Moses and brings Moses up as her own child. 
 
Later Stephen speaks of Moses ... Acts 7 ... 17 But when the time of the promise drew nigh, which God had sworn to Abraham, the people grew and multiplied in Egypt, 18 Till another king arose, which knew not Joseph. 19 The same dealt subtilly with our kindred, and evil entreated our fathers, so that they cast out their young children, to the end they might not live. 
 
20 In which time Moses was born, and was exceeding fair, and nourished up in his father's house three months: 21 And when he was cast out, Pharaoh's daughter took him up, and nourished him for her own son. 
 
22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds. 23 And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel. 24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian: 
 
25 For he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not. 
 
26 And the next day he shewed himself unto them as they strove, and would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why do ye wrong one to another? 27 But he that did his neighbour wrong thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge over us? 28 Wilt thou kill me, as thou diddest the Egyptian yesterday? 
 
29 Then fled Moses at this saying, and was a stranger in the land of Madian, where he begat two sons. 30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush. 31 When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him, 32 Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold. 33 Then said the Lord to him, Put off thy shoes from thy feet: for the place where thou standest is holy ground. 34 I have seen, I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt. 
 
35 This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush. 36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years. 
 
How was God going to deliver them? Moses, of himself, had no power nor authority. But God was going to make it happen showing HIMSELF strong ... God brought many torments upon the Egyptians, announced by Moses and by Aaron, Moses' brother. 
 
In the wilderness, when God revealed HIMSELF to Moses, God said: 
 
Ex. 3:8 ... 8 And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them. 10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
 
Moses argued with God, "Who am I do to do this work?" But he is the person God chose and God was going to do it this way. 
 
And God brought HIS plagues upon Egypt: 
 
Ex. 4:9 ... that thou shalt take of the water of the river, and pour it upon the dry land: and the water which thou takest out of the river shall become blood upon the dry land. 
 
Ex. 4:21 ... And the Lord said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go. 
 
Ex. 5:1 ... And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness. 2 And Pharaoh said, Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go. 
 
It may seem impossible to us that worldly men and women would obey God but God has a way to do HIS will even among kings and rulers of this present world even though they refuse HIM. 
 
The book of Exodus shows us the power of God over all men on this earth. 
 
Ex. 6 ... 6 I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments: 
 
7 And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the Lord your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. 
 
8 And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the Lord. 
 
Plagues brought by God: 
- river turned to blood 
- frogs 
- lice 
- flies 
- infectious disease (upon livestock) 
- boils 
- hail 
- locusts 
- darkness 
- death of all first born 
 
All through book of Exodus, we see wonders done by God. (As is true of all books of Bible) 
 
Here is a magnificent story of deliverance reported by Pam Padgett in our little church group. 
 
My older sister had been at college two years when I started attending the same school. She dated a man who was a member of a fraternity, and she had become a member of the fraternity's "women's auxiliary", assisting with fraternity social functions. She was very excited for me to join the social circles she was in, and especially wanted me to meet members of the fraternity. 
 
The first week of school my sister invited me to go to a student bar where many of the fraternity guys gathered on Thursday nights. I went, but found what was going on there to be so bad (lewdness, drunkenness, etc.) that I was unable to stay and I walked back to the dormitory. 
 
A week or so later my sister asked if I'd go to an outdoor luau with one of the freshmen "pledges" at the fraternity. The luau site was about 20 miles away near a river, and there would be a campfire. The setting was very appealing to me, plus I was excited about having a date, and I agreed to go. 
 
Then, a few days before the luau, my sister told me that arrangements had been made for one of the other fraternity guys to take me to the luau because my date would be spending the day at the luau site building a hut for us ... a young man I had never even met was building a hut "for us"! 
 
Suddenly the reality of this luau became very clear to me. This was not going to be people sitting around a campfire roasting marshmallows. The lewdness and drunkenness I had seen at the student bar was probably mild compared to what would be going on at this luau ... and I wouldn't be able to walk home. 
 
I told my sister that I couldn't go along with this and did not want to go, but she kept insisting that it was too late for me to back out, that it was too late for this guy to find another date. 
 
I turned very strongly to God, asking Him to somehow get me out of this situation. There seemed no way out. At one point I asked God to let me have appendicitis, preferring to be in a hospital having surgery than to go to this luau. 
 
The morning of the luau I woke up and checked to see if I might have any pain that would indicate appendicitis, and was disappointed that I felt fine. I kept praying for God to somehow work this out. Time was really running out! When I looked outside, it was raining a little, but not much. However, the rain became heavier and heavier as the day went on. 
 
Around 2 pm I received a call from the fraternity guy who planned to take me to the luau site. He told me how sorry he was to have to tell me this, but the luau had to be cancelled. The luau site had been totally flooded, washing away all the huts that had been built, which would include the hut my date had built for us. He told me how long the luau had been held at this same site (many years) and, although there had been rain at times in the past, nothing like this had ever happened before, flooding and causing the luau to be cancelled. 
 
I rejoiced, knowing that God had delivered me.