Saturday, August 17, 2019

.

Hymn:  On Christ the solid Rock I stand



(Click forward arrow > to play music:)


  1.  My hope is built on nothing less 
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.


Chorus:

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,

All other ground is sinking sand. 

2.  When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.


3.   His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.


4.  When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
In Him, my righteousness, alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.



(Click pause symbol,  "  ... at beginning of hymn, to stop music)



***** 

Scripture pertaining to this hymn:

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,

Jesus is The Word and The Word from God is Jesus. So when I consider "standing on Christ", I think of The Word brought to my mind by The Holy Spirit which never fails.

John 1:1-4   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him (The Word); and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him (The Word) was life; and the life (The Word) was the light  of men. 

Jesus (The Word) was with God in heaven from  before the creation of this heaven and earth.

Then the time came for The Word  to leave heaven and appear as a man on this earth in the name of Jesus.

John 1:14    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld HIS glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.


*****  


A few of many things THE WORD says to us, the children of God:

* I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.  (Joshua 1:5 & Hebrews 13:5)

The Word spoken to our minds by Jesus' Holy Spirit will always come to pass.

* No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of Me, saith the Lord.  (Isaiah 54:17)

* Jesus, The Word says ... lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.   (Matthew 28:20)

* my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (THE WORD). (Philippians 4:19)

* If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.   (James 1:5)


*****

Matthew 16:13-18   When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.


And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in heaven.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build MY church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter was blessed because God chose to reveal the truth to Peter.

Thus "the rock" is the word that comes down from God on the issue at hand.

This "word" will not fail.  If God tells you something, it will happen.  That Word from God is a rock which cannot fail and it is upon that rock the church (we) are built.

And the gates of hell will not prevail against that word God has given us in the matter at hand.


It is as Jesus says in following scripture:

Matthew 7:24-27     whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.


***

  v. 4   When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
In Him, my righteousness, alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.


Our trust must be at all times in the blood of Jesus that cleanses us from all sins.

Hebrews 9:22    without shedding of blood is no remission.

God showed it to me this way:

I have shed no blood to pay for my sins.  Jesus shed HIS blood to pay for my sins.  Therefore my sins are paid for by Jesus' blood.

When thoughts of sins I did in past come to my mind, I must refuse to dwell on them.  Instead I must reflect on the truth that all those past sins have been paid for by the blood of Jesus.  There is nothing I can do of myself to make up for past acts which I now regret.  I must trust my salvation in all things to have been bought by the blood of Jesus.  I must keep myself in this truth at all times.
 

*****