Monday, November 27, 2017

BOOK: Exhortations




E-book:  $ .99
Paperback:  $7.99
(USA Prices)

Order from:  Amazon.com


***



Volume 12 ... #3 

Avoiding those things that stop the Word of God from producing fruit in your life


Mark 4 ... And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.


*****

the cares of this world

Paul once told Timothy the following: 

II Timothy 2:4    No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Things pop up all the time.  It seems necessary to fix them, but I have sometimes been led (I believe by God) to just tolerate the situation rather than entangling myself.

There is a garbage disposal in the kitchen sink at my house.  It stopped working.  My first desire was to not fix it.  But I didn't want it to hang over me.  I called the office of plumber and began talking with the secretary who has always been friendly with me.  As we spoke, I told her I really didn't think I even needed a garbage disposal.  The more we discussed it the more inclined I was just to scrape my garbage into the trash can like we did when I was a child.  (some of these modern things are really so unnecessary)

Later when I told my cleaning lady, she said she didn't use one at her house either.

I was glad I just let it stay broken.

Repairs are not only costly, but usually disruptive.



*****


the deceitfulness of riches

The love of money is the root of all evil ...

The pursuit of more money is usually wrong.  Even sales can set a person on fire if you allow such.

If God is our provider,  and HE created heaven and earth and all things,  don't we know HE will provide for us and HE is able to provide for us without troubling us and causing us to be led away from that which would be more needful.

Truly only one thing is needful.


*****


the lusts of other things

The only thing that endures is the Word of God.

Everything else we can see with our natural eye will be destroyed.

Do we really want to pursue those things that will be destroyed?


*****