Thursday, April 20, 2017

BOOK: Exhortations


Amazon.com
e-Book & paperback


Volume 5 ... #4
Dealing with bad thoughts concerning the past


I received an email from a young woman who was troubled about the past.  She had read what I had written on blog (Jesus Ministries Exhortations) and she wanted to ask me a question concerning divorce/remarriage.

As I started reading her email, I was praying, asking God to give me wisdom ...

Usually when anyone says to me, "I want to ask you something..."  I begin praying, asking God for wisdom ...

I certainly do not want to answer by "my" opinion.  Only that which God shares with us will help us.

James 1:5 ...If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 



*****

As I was praying while looking at this young woman's email, I was reminded of what the apostle Paul said in Phil. 3 ... (several times while reading I was reminded of the following instruction)

Phil. 3:13-14 ... Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.


*****

Most of us have memories of things from the past that we wish we hadn't done.   

The only way I know to deal with bad memories is to turn immediately to God in prayer asking Him to help me.  I don't believe any human is able to remove those bad memories but God has a way to help us with everything.


Do not tell your sins to another human ... not even to a minister.  If you tell another person a terrible things you have done, you burden that other person needlessly.

Only God can remove sins.

Only God can heal us.

Talk to GodWe have access to God at all times ... Lay your trouble out before God in prayer.  

Sometimes I will forget to do that!  Then I remember and begin to pray.  It is almost like I can feel a weight lift from my shoulder when I remember to talk to God about troubling things of the past and how I wish I had done differently.

God is the only one who can help us with such things as this.