Thursday, July 9, 2020

* Titus 3: Can we actually do this scripture?


9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;


11  Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.



***

We can read a scripture:  But do we actually do what that scripture says?

To do this scripture, we give the person scriptural instruction once, or even twice ... if that person rejects what we share with him, then we simply stop giving him any further instruction and walk away and leave that person alone ... no more telephone calls, no more emails, no more letters, no more friendly dinners, no more visiting ... just quietly disappear.

I had to do this with my 97 year old cousin, Church of Christ.

She told me she did fine during day but was so lonely in evenings.

I was so excited, for I knew exactly what would solve her problem.

I told her when the loneliness begins, call on God, asking HIM to help her.  And God would help her.

Do this:  Philippian 4:6   Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

In her case:  "God, please help me that I not be pulled down tonight with loneliness"

(A simple, honest request ... prayer.)

The next time I heard from my cousin she said: " I do fine during the day but at night I get so lonely."

Twice I shared the same instructions with her ... and she showed she would not do Philippians 4:6.

I "rejected" her as we are told to do in Titus 3.  I have not heard from her since..  I do not know if she is alive or dead.  I do not expect to ever hear from her again.  She cannot be helped by me.  I must leave her alone.

We can read Titus 3:10-11 ... but can we actually do that scripture?


*****