Monday, May 23, 2016

Works done by faith vs. works done by feeling of obligation

Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

Abraham operated by faith in what God said to him, not by works of his flesh (his own ideas).

Yet those of faith do works as they follow the Spirit of God but these works are of the Spirit and not of the flesh.

I am acquainted with a Catholic woman who is not born again.  She is always looking for works she can do.  But she is led by her own ideas in her works, therefore they are her works and not God's works.  And her works are often very fleshly, born of her flesh.

All our fleshly works will be burned in the fire and will account for nothing.  We are basically wasting our time on fleshly works.

But works done by the Spirit are of God and are important to us.

Faith without works is dead ... James 2:17

Because we believe, we act upon that which we believe.

But to act because we think we must do something because our church says so or man says we must do such & such as Christians is works without faith.

Recently the woman who trims my lawn asked me if I would sell her some pots that are sitting in a storage area.  At first, I didn't know what she was asking.  Then I remembered: when an indoor plant dies, I usually have the pot moved out to this storage area at one side of my house.  I had forgotten I even have pots out there.

I responded that she could have those pots.  I want no money for them.  And I don't need them.  And at my age, I don't plan to use them.  I'm delighted for her to take them since she has use for them.

My action is not based on a desire to do good nor to be seen as "good".  My action was simply the heart of God responding to a request in kindness.

But if I think it is my "duty" to do such because I am Christian, or to sell these things to store up more money in case I need it, then that would not be an act of faith in God but would be opposite of faith.

If I visit the sick because I truly care for that person and think I might be able to help, that is likely a work of God.

But if I think I "have to" visit the sick because it is an obligation for me to do as a "Christian" that work is likely of the flesh and will avail me nothing.

It is the kindness of God which authors the works we do.  Obligation is flesh and avails us nothing. 

Kindness of God wants to do the work.  (Work done by faith.)

Obligation "has to" do works.  (Work of flesh.)

Mt. 7 ... 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 

22 Many will say to ME in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you:depart from me, ye that work iniquity.