Sunday, October 24, 2021

Podcast: The example of Ruth, a godly woman

 
 
 

Naomi was the wife of Elimelech a man of the tribe of Ephraim, the son of Joseph.

When a famine hit the land, he took his family to the land of Moab where he and his two sons died.  The wives of the sons were Moabites.  One was named Ruth.

After the famine, Naomi decided to return to her people in Judah so she sent her two daughter's in law back to their families.  Oprah returned to her mother and father.  But Ruth continued to follow Naomi.

Naomi said to Ruth:

Ruth 1:15  Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

But Ruth refused to leave her mother-in-law and she made this outstanding declaration to Naomi:

Ruth 1:16-17   Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

So Naomi allowed Ruth to go with her into Judah.

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

Naomi had a near kinsman named Boaz Ruth went to glean in his fields.  Boaz noticed Ruth and made inquiry and found her to be the daughter-in-law of Naomi and found her husband had died in Moab.

Boaz instructed Ruth:

Ruth 2

8 ... Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens:

9 Let thine eyes be on the field that they do reap, and go thou after them: have I not charged the young men that they shall not touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go unto the vessels, and drink of that which the young men have drawn.

10 Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?

11 And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore.

12 The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust.

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

When Ruth made the decision to accompany her mother-in-law, there was no sign of reward for Ruth in doing this.  She simply loved Naomi and went in faith and even turned to the God of Naomi.

Great blessing from God was upon Ruth for doing this.

Ruth ended up married to Boaz and had a child by him.

Ruth 4:17   and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.

(Ruth's great grandson was David who was to be king over Israel, replacing Saul.)
 

πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯