Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Hymn: On Christ the solid Rock I stand




(Click forward arrow > to play music:)


  1.  My hope is built on nothing less 
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.


Chorus:

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,

All other ground is sinking sand. 

2.  When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.


3.   His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.


4.  When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
In Him, my righteousness, alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.



(Click pause symbol,  "  ... at beginning of hymn, to stop music)



***** 

Scripture pertaining to this hymn:

v. 1   But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

Jesus' name:  the  Word of God ... I wholly lean on that Word given me by God ... That Word which comes down to me from heaven pertaining to the issue with which I am currently dealing.

***

v.2   I rest on His unchanging grace;

Every morning there is light from the sun.  This is unchanging until the end of this present world.

Genesis 8:22   While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

***

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand, 


Christ, the solid Rock, is the WORD that is revealed by God to us in the issue at hand.

Jesus says:

Matthew 7:24-27   whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.


Jesus says:

John 14:6
  I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by ME.

The WORD given us by the Holy Spirit is the way to go.  The WORD is truth and life.  The WORD is Jesus.

John 1:1-4   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him (The Word); and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him (The Word) was life; and the life (The Word) was the light  of men. 


***

John 6:33    For the bread of God is HE which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

35  And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to ME shall never hunger; and he that believeth on ME shall never thirst.

48  I am that bread of life.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is MY flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.

We eat the flesh of Jesus and drink HIS blood as we live in the Word of God given to us by the Holy Spirit and as we do those things instructed in the Bible.  The Word is the Lord's supper.


54 Whoso eateth MY flesh, and drinketh MY blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 

55 For MY flesh is meat indeed, and MY blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth MY flesh, and drinketh MY blood, dwelleth in ME, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent ME, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth ME, even he shall live by ME.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.




***

John 1:14   And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld HIS glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.


*****

A few of many things THE WORD says to us, the children of God:

* I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.  (Joshua 1:5 & Hebrews 13:5)

The Word spoken to our minds by Jesus' Holy Spirit will always come to pass.

* No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of Me, saith the Lord.  (Isaiah 54:17)

* Jesus, The Word says ... lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.  (Matthew 28:20)

* my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (THE WORD). (Philippians 4:19)

* If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.  (James 1:5)

* Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.  (James 1:17)


*****

Matthew 16:13-18  When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in heaven.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build MY church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter was blessed because God revealed The Word to him. The Word revealed by God by HIS Spirit to us is the rock. The gates of hell will not prevail against that Word revealed to us by God.


***

v. 4  When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
In Him, my righteousness, alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.


I Thessalonians 4:13-18    But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep (dead), that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with HIM.


For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent (precede) them which are asleep.

For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:


Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.


Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

***

The apostle Peter tells us how to live and how to be found  "in HIM" when HE comes.

II Peter 3:10-14    But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,  Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 

Nevertheless we, according to HIS promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

The only way we can live continually "in peace, without spot, and blameless", is to pray over every issue that touches our lives this day and every day, one problem at a time.  And to be cleansed by God that day by hearing what God would bring to us in the trouble.

***


Our trust must be at all times in the blood of Jesus that cleanses us from all sins.

Hebrews 9:22  without shedding of blood is no remission.

God showed it to me this way:

I have shed no blood to pay for my sins. Jesus shed HIS blood to pay for my sins. Therefore my sins are paid for by Jesus' blood.

When thoughts of sins I did in past come to my mind, I must refuse to dwell on them. Instead I must reflect on the truth that all those past sins have been paid for by the blood of Jesus. There is nothing I can do of myself to make up for past acts which I now regret. I must trust my salvation in all things to have been bought by the blood of Jesus. I must keep myself in this truth at all times. 

 
*****