Sunday, December 17, 2017

What do we call you? a woman asks me. "Do we call you Reverend?"


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

When a woman asked me if they called me "Reverend", I was shocked and horrified!

I quickly replied, "No ... call me Joan."

What did they call Paul in the Bible?

What did they call Peter in the Bible?

What did they call John in the Bible?

It is unthinkable to me that a man (or woman) could call himself "Reverend."

There is no example in Bible where a man did this.


*****

Paul identified himself as an apostle and a teacher.  Why?  That tells the church what to expect of him.  An apostle deals with doctrine so they could expect Paul to keep things straight in the gathering.  There were antichrists trying to take over the churches even in Paul's day.  He speaks of it and even says the following:

Acts 20:29-30    For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.  Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.




An apostle deals with scripture, and church doctrine and keeps order in the church.

Paul often tells the church his calling so the church will not be confused by the actual work they should expect him to do.

If someone identifies himself as an apostle, I expect him to have a special anointing in handling scripture, comparing scripture one with another.

If the person is a prophet, we often have special insight into problem or issues and frequently the spiritual gifts of word of wisdom and word of knowledge operate in the prophet and discerning of spirits.

An evangelist will likely go to the unsaved with their messages.

Prophets will go to the church.

We think of pastors and teachers being in one place and caring for God's flock in an local setting. 

When I say I am an apostle, you would expect me to compare by the Holy Spirit scripture upon scripture.  And you would expect doctrine of Christ to be established by that which I do.

The disclosure of offices shows you what service to expect from that person.

You would not expect a brick layer to be the cook.